The New York Foundling (the "Foundling") is one of the oldest, largest and most well-respected human services agencies in New York. Established as a home for abandoned children, the Foundling has been saving children, preserving families, and building communities since 1869. The Foundling's focus is on child welfare and the developmentally disabled and creating a community where each child, youth and adult enjoys the safe, stable and support relationships needed to reach his or her full physical, emotional, intellectual and spiritual potential. We have over 1300 employees located in every borough of New York City, Westchester and Rockland Counties and in Puerto Rico.
The Afters School Allies will conduct one-on-one tutoring sessions with 4 or more students in grades K-6 per week. These sessions will be held in the students' foster homes, at the Foundling's regional offices in each borough, or elsewhere in the community. Sessions will be directed at helping students develop the academic skills they need to succeed. Tutors will be expected to create a calm and accepting environment for their students, and tailor the sessions to each student's knowledge and needs.
- Spend in-office time developing teaching materials such as simple homework assignments and exercises aimed at helping students strengthen their academic fundamentals.
- Submit feedback after each meeting with a student, and will engage in group discussions around identifying and troubleshooting specific student issues, developing new general methods for engaging students, and teaching various types of content.
Tutors must travel within the 5 boroughs of NYC and must be willing to work flex hour to meet the availability of the children/youth. This position will require 5-15 hours per week.
One of the educational and experience requirements below must be met at a minimum:
- High School Diploma or GED
- Some college preferred
*Some preference will be given to candidates who are currently studying education or a related field, or who have experience working with children in an academic setting.
Qualified Applicants will be:
- Compassionate and patient, and sensitive to the needs of our target population.
- Able to develop and tailor lessons that fit the particular strengths of each child.
- Capable of working in a group setting, and of giving and receiving critical feedback.
- Detail oriented, responsible, and punctual.
*We will consider any candidate who demonstrates the potential to provide outstanding instruction to younger children. Bilingual Spanish speakers are strongly encouraged to apply.
*Please indicate the best email to contact you*
We invite you to join our dedicated & diverse workforce by applying on our website at www.nyfoundling.org/about/jobs/.
Job Type: Part-time
Salary: $20.00 /hour