The school-based STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Mathematics) Activity Specialist is responsible for imparting instruction in one of the STEM disciplines to small groups of students. Most of the sites are in middle schools (grades 6-8); there are a few that are in the elementary schools.
Essential Job Functions:
- Implement an approved STEAM curriculum.
- Clearly display at the beginning of the lesson what the students will be able to do (the objective).
- Clarify the underlying scientific, technological, engineering or mathematics principles embedded in the lesson.
- Articulate with the school-based Site Director in a timely fashion regarding any materials or storage space needed
- Maintain a careful inventory of the materials used at the conclusion of each lesson.
- Document the effectiveness and success of the lessons in a report to the site director and the Education Department at the end of each of the three cycles. The use of multimedia e.g. cell phone photos is encouraged.
- Demonstrates knowledge and competence in the subject matter.
- Is able to communicate concepts and ideas to others effectively.
- Is responsible, reliable and punctual.
- Exhibits patience and positive attitudes in establishing a good rapport with the students.
- Possesses good organizational skills and completes all responsibilities in a timely manner.
- Experience in working with youth in educational and after school programs.
- Must have at least an Associate's Degree.
- Previous coursework and/or work experience in the STEM field is a plus.
- If needed, must pass a pre-employment background investigation including but not limited to fingerprinting, employment history and background check.
- Up to 25 hours per week during after-school hours (2:30-5:30 pm)
- Overtime pay for all hours worked over 40 hours in a one-week time period
- Paid sick time
- Paid Family Leave
- State Disability Benefits
- Family Medical Leave
Please visit our website at newyorkedge/careers.com. Only applications on the New York Edge Website will be considered.
At time of offer and acceptance, the job requires safety and security clearances through the Department of Education and Department of Health.
New York Edge is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer.
Disclaimer: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by the employee in this position. These statements are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of a person in this position.
Various Locations: New York (Queens, Bronx, Brooklyn)
New York Edge
Why Work Here?New York Edge is New York leading provider of after-school programs. Our mission is to help bridge the opportunity gap among students in high-need communities by extending the school day and year with wholesome, skill-building activities designed to improve New York City children's academic performance, health and wellness, attitude towards school, self-confidence, character and values, and opportunity for lifelong employment.
We help bridge the gap among students in high - need communities, skill-building activities designed to improve New York City children.