Summer Intern, Transportation
- $23 Hourly
Are you passionate about public service and New York City? Do you want to have a hand in shaping our city's skyline and future? We are seeking passionate Summer Interns to join our dynamic team of skilled and dedicated New Yorkers committed to making New York City a more prosperous place to live and work.
Spending your summer as an intern with NYCEDC could be a springboard to an amazing career. Click here to learn more about our divisions and the variety of work that we do across the five boroughs.
Our Internship Program: Our 2023 Summer Internship Program is a paid 12-week internship program. Interns are expected to work full-time throughout the summer.
Summer interns will join an intern class consisting of undergraduate and graduate students to work on exciting projects in one of EDC's many dynamic departments. Summer Interns will also participate in training programs, networking events, and other professional development opportunities over the course of the program.
Department Overview: Transportation is situated within NYCEDC's Planning Division and, together with the Land Use, Ferries, and Neighborhood Strategies Departments, works to promote robust, inclusive growth in the city's neighborhoods and waterfront. The Planning Division advances major projects that engage communities in planning for their future; helps build vibrant, inclusive neighborhoods; advances strategic infrastructure; leverages the City's public assets; strengthens transportation systems; and promotes public access, economic opportunity, and climate resilience.
Within the Planning Division, the Transportation Department is a team with unique expertise in the areas of aviation, freight, maritime, waterfront regulations and passenger transportation. We are self-starting project managers and problem solvers, providing strategic policy direction, technical planning and analysis, and assistance with project permitting and project implementation to strengthen the City's key maritime and transportation infrastructure assets and industries. Of note, the team manages the only Environmental Mitigation Bank in NYC, leads the strategic development of port sites for Offshore Wind NYC, and manages the leases for JFK and LaGuardia airports.
The intern will primarily support the maritime, aviation, and freight portfolios, but will work across the department as needed. A sample of intern responsibilities below.
- Maritime Career Awareness Fair Planning and Execution Support - including planning, outreach, and other tasks to facilitate the event.
- Truck Electrification Strategy Development - coordination with NYCDOT (under the direction of a supervisor) to develop a Citywide Truck Electrification strategy. Tasks include site searching, industry outreach, and general research.
- Urban Air Mobility and Drone Regulation Research - lead a research project to report on drone use in U.S. cities, evolving regulations, and potential impacts to NYC and its assets
- Offshore Wind Community Education Plan - project management of city-wide education strategy for offshore wind focused on grassroots outreach, coordinating across agencies and asset managers (with supervision), develop budgets, timelines, and contracts.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Must be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program; recent graduates are also encouraged to apply
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for the mission of NYCEDC
- Proven ability in using database and presentation tools, including Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
- Strong interpersonal, analytical, and written and verbal communication skills
- Detail-oriented and organized, with the ability to multi-task and manage deadlines
- Proactive and able to work in collaborative, cross-functional teams
- Must be able to work full-time and complete the entirety of the 12-week program
- Must be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus as defined by the CDC, unless they have been granted a reasonable accommodation for religion or disability
Salary Target: $18/hour (undergraduate-level students); $23/hour (graduate-level students)
New York City Economic Development CorporationNew York, NY
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.