Job Description: Over the Road Driver
Job Summary: CDL driver is responsible for the safe operation of a commercial motor vehicle. Transport material safely and within D.O.T. Regulations in a timely manner. Prepare all necessary and required paperwork. Communication with office through GPS and cell. Maintain HOS on an ELD. Remain focused on the safe operation of the commercial motor vehicle when there are distractions. Operates trucks with a capacity of at least 26,001 pounds gross weight.
· Daily inspections of equipment
· Complete all D.O.T. and company required paperwork such as inspections and trip sheets
· Safely hook and unhook trailers at shippers and receivers
· Proper fuel purchasing
· Deliver all loads on time within all Hours of Service Regulations
· Report any damages, incidents or accidents
· Maintain clean tractor – inside and outside
· Accommodate special runs to replace a downed trailer
· Communicate with Maintenance any and all issues with equipment
· Communicate with Office all load and HOS issues to receive instruction
· Communicate with Office all breakdowns on the road and await their instructions of vendor assigned to repair, phone number, ETA and how payment will be made
· Turn in on a timely manner all paperwork to include completed trip sheet, fuel receipts, other receipts and paperwork in order for payroll to be processed
· Monitor road conditions and watch for traffic congestion
· Follow all applicable traffic laws
· Follow accident procedures if an accident occurs
· Take required rest periods
· Take special precautions while driving
- 10-12 day runs
- Runs to St. Louis, Indianapolis, Chicago area, & Ohio
· High school diploma or GED required
· Must have a valid CDL-A
· General knowledge of D.O.T. Regulations
· Minimum Requirement: 2 years of CDL Class A over-the-road commercial truck driving experience
· Must have a clean MVR and PSP for acceptance by insurance company
· Must possess a general knowledge of refrigeration units
· Minor mechanical knowledge
· Must have good knowledge of roads
· Effective communication and interpersonal skills
· Legible penmanship
· Attention to details
· Ability to read a map, operate a GPS and read directions
· Ability to pass and maintain a D.O.T. Physical
· Ability to work independently as well as a team member
· Ability to hook, drop, pull and back 48’ and 53’ trailers in tight spaces
· Ability to provide excellent customer service
· Ability to perform inspection of equipment for operating deficiencies
· Ability to perform routine adjustments to equipment
· Ability to assist personnel in proper and safe operation of all equipment
· Ability to work in a fast-paced environment
The physical and mental demands described here are representative of those that must be met by a team member to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Candidate must pass a pre-employment physical and drug screen.
• This position requires a team member to: read; effectively communicate verbally and/or in written form; remember and analyze information; and remember and understand specific instructions and/or guidelines.
• While performing the duties of this job, the team member may be required to stand, walk, and sit. This position frequently requires the use of hands to touch, handle, and feel, and to reach with hands and arms. The team member must be able to occasionally lift and/or move items 75lbs.
• Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.