Director of Communications
New Mexico Legal Aid Inc Albuquerque, NM
- Posted: over a month ago
New Mexico Legal Aid (NMLA) seeks an experienced person to direct organizational communications and, to a lesser extent, private development. NMLA, a not-for-profit law firm, provides high quality legal services to low-income New Mexicans, including Native Americans and migrant agricultural workers. The successful applicant will be a dynamic leader who will create and implement a strategic communications plan designed to raise organizational visibility, support NMLA advocacy efforts, and support NMLA work in client communities. The Director of Communications reports directly to the NMLA Executive Director.
NMLA's strengths include its long-standing reputation for the delivery of excellent services, its varied and stable funding, and its diverse and experienced staff and board. NMLA's revenue for 2021 is approximately $9 million from 30+ funding sources. NMLA is the largest non-profit provider of civil legal services in New Mexico.
NMLA has offices in Albuquerque, Clovis, Las Cruces, Santa Fe, Gallup, Roswell, Taos, Silver City, Las Vegas and Santa Ana. The administrative offices are in Albuquerque, but this position can be based in Santa Fe. Some travel around the state will be necessary. Infrequent travel to conferences will also be required.
Communications will be the major emphasis of this position. There will be some private non-attorney development involved, but little, if any, direct grant or foundation work. NMLA has a separate Director of Grant Administration responsible for foundation and government grant development.
High Priority Roles and Responsibilities for the Director of Communications:
- Create and implement a comprehensive statewide communications plan for NMLA for the next two to five years and beyond. The plan will have a strong focus on raising organizational public profile of NMLA.
- Develop and oversee public relations and communications activities that impact development efforts.
- Assist and engage in statewide strategic planning.
- Identify, cultivate and nurture relationships with potential corporate and individual donors.
- Assist the Executive Director in the identification of major gift and planned giving prospects.
- Collaborate with an annual giving activities conducted by NMLA in coordination with Equal Access to Justice, Inc.
- Five years or more demonstrated success in non-profit communications and/or development highly preferred.
- Understanding of multi-faceted communications campaigns
- Passionate commitment to advancing the legal rights of low income persons.
- Demonstrated experience working with organizations and individuals with diverse perspectives, including staff, Board, the public, elected and appointed officials, and client communities.
- Knowledge of and experience with the legislative process.
- Experience in working within both rural and urban communities.
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills, including the ability to motivate and inspire staff, volunteers, funders and donors.
- Experience with web-based communications and fundraising strategies, including proficiency with internet technologies and management of donor databases.
- Ability to oversee web presence.
- Excellent organizational skills and the ability to effectively handle multiple projects with competing deadlines.
- Personal attributes such as the ability to engender confidence and trust, honesty, a strong work ethic, a sense of humor, good listening skills, decisiveness, and the belief in equality.
- Willingness to make a long term commitment to NMLA.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. In order to receive full consideration, however, candidates are urged to submit their materials before August 20, 2021. Interested candidates should submit a letter expressing in detail your interest and what you believe you can contribute to the future of NMLA and its client communities. The letter should be accompanied by a current resume, names and contact information for three references, and a writing sample which demonstrates your best work.
Electronic submissions are preferred. Materials should be emailed to email@example.com in Microsoft Word format.
Candidates with questions about the position or the search process are encouraged to contact Lewis Creekmore, NMLA Executive Director, at LewisC@nmlegalaid.org.
NMLA offers a competitive salary and benefits package. NMLA is an equal opportunity employer and encourages candidates with disabilities, women, persons of color and others who represent distinct linguistic or cultural communities to apply.
New Mexico Legal Aid Inc
BusinessView all jobs at New Mexico Legal Aid Inc