New Jersey PTA Trenton, NJ
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
About the Association
New Jersey State PTA is a 501 (c) 3 nonprofit organization based in Mercerville. The association
represents more than 100,000 members across the state and consists of approximately 600
local units and council PTAs. Our mission is to impact the lives of all children and families
positively. We advance this through advocacy, training and leadership development, and
programs and services. The association communicates with various audiences such as volunteer
leaders, members, policymakers, community members, educators, and the media through
various means, including a website, print and electronic communications, social media, videos,
press releases, and events.
General Description of Position
The Communications Specialist performs professional and administrative work and reports to the
Director of Member and Board Services. This position carries out daily writing, editorial, and
social media assignments. The position will also include general office responsibilities, including
filing, copying, database entry, and updating. The position collaborates with staff, volunteer
leaders, board members, partners, and external media.
Essential functions of this position may include:
- Writes articles, social media posts, press releases, e-publications, marketing materials, talking points, and other materials, focusing on advancing strategic objectives, promoting the association’s positions and priorities, and engaging and meeting the needs of multiple vital audiences.
- Serves as Editor of New Jersey PTA Local Leader Updates and any other e-newsletter publications that are created.
- Assists in developing and implementing marketing strategies and tactics that promote the association, membership, and programs and services.
- Create graphics using Canva, InDesign, and Illustrator for social media, website, e-newsletters, print publications, and online ad campaigns.
- Manage and support the creation of all print and electronic materials, including:
o Electronic publications and other timely e-publications.
o Report templates, infographics, and other visual representations of NJPTA’s work.
o Marketing, development, and solicitation materials as needed.
o Event announcements, invitations, programs, and signage.
- Assists in maintaining and updating the website, including content and links.
- Assists in developing and implementing social media strategies and coordinates daily social media posts on appropriate platforms, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, and YouTube.
- Assist in preparation for association events and educational offerings.
- Schedules and organizes complex activities such as meetings, travel, and board activities.
- Acts as a project manager for special projects, including planning and coordinating presentations, disseminating information, and organizing events.
- Answer calls and check messages daily; return calls the same day or forwards to appropriate staff/volunteer.
- Keep all relevant contact lists and Office Administration binder updated, including but not limited to the Employee list, Board of Directors list, and Board Committee list
- Assists with special mailings and other projects as needed.
- Monitors and makes recommendations and implements strategies as approved for utilizing new technologies to advance the association’s goals more effectively and efficiently.
- Maintains an updated database of media contacts and Local PTA leaders through our Membership Database.
- Maintains New Jersey State PTA on-site marketing materials and displays and coordinates with board members and staff to promote positive visibility at external events.
- Other duties as assigned include taking National PTA e-learning courses to assist in growing your knowledge of PTA, assisting with filing, working with the New Jersey PTA Reflections Student Arts team, and preparing for and working at the Annual State Convention plus other tasks as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and Experience
• Two or more years of experience in a communications-related field
• Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience
• Experience with a nonprofit organization or member association is preferred.
Required Skills and Abilities
• Understanding of and commitment to the organization’s mission, goals, and policies
• Knowledge of strategic communications principles
• Proactive, creative, collaborative, and flexible
• Highly attentive to details and timelines.
• Ability to create engaging content and demonstrated achievements related to social media and communications.
• Experience designing compelling visuals for online content and print materials.
• Adept at communicating with diverse communities.
• Strong working knowledge of communications technology, websites, social media, and relevant systems and platforms
• Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to develop and maintain effective relationships with staff, board members, volunteers, vendors, partners, and others.
• Team player: Ability to demonstrate an overall outlook that is positive, open, and supportive of others.
• Microsoft Office/Google Docs Suite
• Resource Development and Grant Writing Experience (a plus; but not required)
Salary and Benefits:
This is a full-time, non-exempt hourly position with a competitive wage and a wide array of benefits, including partial health insurance and paid time off.
New Jersey PTAWhy Work Here?
Great mission at the largest child advocacy association in the state.
8 Quakerbridge PlazaTrenton, NJ
BusinessView all jobs at New Jersey PTA