- Assist patients who are dropping off or picking up prescription orders
- Create a profile of the patient’s demographic and insurance information in the computer or update the patient’s profile
- Assist the pharmacist in providing effective, appropriate, and safe pharmacy service
- Assist the pharmacist in preparing prescriptions; select drug or device, place meds in suitable container, appropriately label Rx container.
- Accept written or electronic prescriptions
- Receive and initiate verbal telephone orders
- Conduct prescription transfers
- Receive verbal request from patients for available refills
- Perform initial interpretation of licensed practitioner prescription orders
- At point of sale, verify that customer receives correct prescription(s)
- Check in wholesale orders, place merchandise of shelves and verify all associated paperwork
- Screen telephone calls for the pharmacist
- Check for drug outdates: pull from shelf, adjust inventory: process return paperwork
- Stock automatic dispensers (if applicable to location)
- Return Rxs to stock according to pharmacy procedure
- Communicate with prescribers and their agents to obtain refill authorization
- Maintain knowledge of loss prevention techniques
- Maintain orderly workflow for pharmacy staff
- Maintain accurate cash register sales and records
- Enter prescription orders into the computer
- Communicate with insurance carriers to obtain payment for prescription claims
- Assist the pharmacist with filling and labeling prescriptions
- Prepare and maintain the pharmacy inventory
- Compound oral solutions, ointments and creams
- Maintain an awareness of developments in the community and pharmaceutical fields that relate to job responsibilities and integrate them into own practice
- Assist in training new pharmacy employees
- Assist other pharmacy technicians
- Must have successfully completed High School or GED equivalent.
- Must have National Pharmacy Technician Board Certification
- Minimum 3 years pharmacy technician experience preferred.
- Must be able to follow detailed verbal and written instructions.
- Must be able to establish and maintain legible pharmacy records.
- Must be able to gain the confidence and cooperation of patients and to work effectively with them and have the ability to respect confidentiality of patient data.
- Must be capable of establishing and maintaining effective/productive working relationships with supervisor(s) and co-workers.
- Must have computer skills
- Understanding of medical terminology and calculations
- Knowledge of medication brand and generic names
- Knowledge of pharmaceutical insurance and third party payment systems
- Courteous, professional attitude
- Strong communication skills
- Ability to work in teams
- Attention to detail
New Horizon Family Health Services