Special Education Teachers
- Posted: 3 days ago
- $61,000 to $72,076 Yearly
- Benefits: 401k, dental, life insurance, medical, vision,
High School Learning Specialists
The Learning Strategist will plan and deliver meaningful learning experiences, create opportunities for maximum educational and social development, and work with all members of the school community to create a nurturing and structured environment for each student enrolled at New Heights Academy Charter School.
Director of Student Support Services
Grade Teams, Content Specific Department, Department Chairs, Social Workers, Special Education Coordinator, College and Career Counselors, Special Education Teachers, and Assistant Director of Student Support Services
- Teach one core skills class and co-teach four core classes daily
- Track students’ academic progress and provide interventions as needed to ensure their success
- Engage students with various individualized methods within an instructional framework consistent with our school-wide practices
- Create a focused educational setting to ensure the efficient operation of classroom instruction
- Document all instructional materials (lessons plans, assignments, grading rubrics, etc.)
- Collaborate effectively with a diverse team of teachers and co-workers
- Case manages a group of students with IEPs (includes writing IEPs, conducting IEP meetings, and monitoring their academic and behavioral growth throughout the year)
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Work relentlessly to close the achievement gap
- Use data to inform instruction
- Set high professional goals
- Respectfully challenge ideas and the status quo
- Maintain a positive mindset
- Focus on converging core content and student need to increase knowledge
- Develop supportive and caring relationships with students, parents, and colleagues
- Communicate professionally
- Be responsible to self, team, and school
- Assume team membership and individual leadership
- Adhere to deadlines
- A valid NYS teaching certificate in Special Education
- Bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree preferred
- At least 1-year prior teaching experience in special education math
- Demonstrated success working in non-traditional and/or urban school settings
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience with educational technology (SMART Board, student laptops, etc.)
- Willingness to learn and grow professionally
· More Time in School: Extended day and school year focused on academic learning and unique enrichment activities.
New Heights is a product of and exists to serve the students of Washington Heights, Inwood, and Harlem. We opened in 2006 as the very first charter school in our district. Our school was founded by a team of local educators who came together with the specific intent to provide the community they served and loved with an excellent educational option. We are an independent public charter school, and we are not affiliated with any management organization.
Since our opening, we have grown to serve 750 students in grades 5-12 and achieved an average annual graduation rate that exceeds the rest of the city. New Heights provides our students with an academically rigorous education that will prepare them to pursue whatever educational and professional path they choose.
New Heights Academy Charter School
1818 Amsterdam AvenueNew York, NY
What email should the hiring manager reach you at?