Histology Technician - Anatomic & Molecular Pathology
Send This Job to a Friend
Anatomic & Molecular Pathology
This position has access to and knowledge of extremely sensitive, private and confidential materials. Ability to maintain the highest standard is required with zero tolerance.
All the primary duties within this document will be performed according to established policies, procedures and guidelines within the department and the Medical Center.
The histotechnician works under the supervision of the manager of Anatomic and Molecular Pathology and coordinator. The histotechnician performs a variety of complex techniques to preserve and prepare tissue specimens for microscopic examination and diagnosis by pathologist. The histotechnician performs specialized ancillary diagnostic tests for interpretation by the pathologist. The technician performs other duties as assigned.
PRIMARY JOB DUTIES:
1. Collect tissue specimens from surgical and diagnostic services and/or receives tissue specimens from outside source for processing in the department.
2. Perform basic and advanced Histology procedures of processing, embedding, cutting, mounting and staining of tissue specimens for evaluation and diagnosis by pathologists.
3. Perform basic and advanced special staining procedures including special histochemistry and immunochemistry. Prepare solutions and reagents as necessary.
4. Operate, use, care, maintain and troubleshoot specialized histology equipment and instrumentation.
5. Perform clerical functions such as accessioning specimens and issuing charge codes; utilizes laboratory information system for recording and retrieving patient information.
6. Research, develop and adopt new procedures for routine use.
7. Comply with standards set by the Medical Center and regulatory/accrediting agencies.
8. Assist in writing, reviewing and revising of the histology procedure manual.
9. Perform cryosectioning techniques on tissue specimens for rapid diagnosis by the pathologist.
10. Prepare slides from quick frozen tissue specimens for rapid diagnosis by a pathologist.
11. Performs cytopreparation of routine cytologic specimens and fine needle aspirations.
12. Provide technical assistance and oversight of duties to technical assistants.
13. Demonstrate interpersonal skills while performing assigned duties.
14. Effectively demonstrates the mission, vision, and values of the medical center on a daily basis.
15. Performs other duties as assigned.
ESSENTIAL JOB SPECIFICATIONS:
1. Education: High school diploma and successful completion of an accredited histotechnology program or an associate degree or 60 semester hours including 6 semester hours in chemistry and 6 semester hours in biology, two years experience in a histology lab under a certified Pathologist.
2. Licensure / Certifications: HT/ASCP certification or eligibility required. Must become certified within 18 months of hire.
3. Experience: 1-2 year experience is preferred.