Director of Children, Family and Youth Ministry
New Hanover Evangelical Lutheran Church Gilbertsville, PA
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
New Hanover Evangelical Lutheran Church Gilbertsville, PA 19525
Position Description: Director of Children, Family & Youth Ministry (DCFYM)
Part-Time: This position anticipates 20 to 25 hours per week, including evenings and weekends.
Accountability: The Director of Children, Family & Youth Ministry is directly responsible to the Pastor and works cooperatively with the Christian Education and Fellowship Committees
General Description: The Director of Children, Family & Youth Ministry extends the ministry of New Hanover Evangelical Lutheran Church (NHELC) into the congregation and community through various activities designed to engage youth and families and strengthen their faith in our Lord.
Biblical Ministry Objective
Then little children were being brought to him so that he might lay his hands on them and pray. The disciples spoke sternly to those who brought them, but Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not stop them; for it is to such as these that the kingdom of heaven belongs.” And he laid his hands on them and went on his way. (Matthew 19:13-15)
Let no one despise your youth, but set the believers an example in speech and conduct, in love, in faith, in purity. Until I arrive, give attention to the public reading of scripture, to exhorting, to teaching. Do not neglect the gift that is in you, which was given to you through prophecy with the laying on of hands by the council of elders. Put these things into practice, devote yourself to them so that all may see your progress. Pay close attention to yourself and to your teaching; continue in these things, for in doing this, you will save both yourself and your hearers. (I Timothy 4:11-16)
As part of the staff leadership of New Hanover Evangelical, work with and guide all people of this church so that they are thriving, passionate disciples of Jesus Christ.
In partnership with other leaders, to oversee, coordinate, strengthen, expand, and create ministries that help children, youth and families grow as disciples in mission, faith formation, inclusivity for all, and loving their neighbor.
To work in partnership with parents to assist them in their baptismal responsibility to help their children grow as followers of Jesus Christ.
By encouraging and mentoring, recruit and equip more leaders into children, youth and adult ministry.
Specific Responsibilities: to engage and strengthen the faith of the youth in this congregation and community.
1.) In cooperation with the Christian Education Board and Lead Teachers to oversee the Sunday School activities:
- Coordinate and maintain records for Sunday School, including registrations, attendance, background checks and offers.
- Coordinate teacher communication.
- Order and distribute Sunday School curriculum and supplies.
- When a teaching vacancy occurs, to fill this position with a competent teacher and
- to provide training. (i.e., Child Safety Training, use of curriculum, etc.)
- Plan and implement a system to contact children who fall away from Sunday
- Plan and implement an evaluation system to see if we are accomplishing the goal
- of these ministries.
- Coordinate, in cooperation with the Pastor, the education of 5th graders or older for the sacrament/faith milestone of Holy Communion.
- Coordinate, in cooperation with the Pastor, confirmation education.
- Provide one Children’s Message per month.
2.) In cooperation with volunteers and teachers to provide a Vacation Bible School program,
3.) and assist as needed in Camp Falckner each summer.
4.) In cooperation with Flutter Group (Youth Group), plan and attend Flutter meetings, activities and mission events.
5.) In cooperation with volunteers, plan, attend, communicate and encourage participation at family social gatherings and mission events.
6.) Perform administrative responsibilities such as communication and advertising for children and family programs (newsletter, email, flyers, webpage, Facebook, etc.), preparing and administering appropriate church budgets (in cooperation with the Christian Education Board treasurer), event registrations, medical forms and safety/background checks.
7.) Regularly attend worship services and build relationships with our families. Stay connected with children and parents as needed via phone or email and in-person during fellowship time after Worship.
8.) To foster communication: attend staff meetings as requested, monthly Christian Ed and Flutter Group meetings, and monthly Council meetings as requested by Council.
9.) Serve as a representative of Jesus Christ for children, youth, and adults in need of support, encouragement and love, referring to counseling when appropriate.
10.) Participate on church subcommittees where there is interest or overlap in the Children & Family Ministries, including and not limited to fundraising, Flutter Group activities, Family Events.
11.) In cooperation with volunteers, oversee the nursery during worship.
12.) Engage and involve new people within our faith formation communities.
13.) Provide a monthly written report to the pastor to be included in routine church council meeting minutes.
14.) Provides other duties as needed.
- High school graduate; college degree preferred, with related experience.
- A deep commitment to our Lord Jesus Christ expressed through daily prayer and reading
- of scripture, weekly worship, significant service and giving, sharing of your faith and an appropriate Christian lifestyle. This faith should also be expressed in a manner consistent with Lutheran theology.
- A passion for helping children and adults grow as followers of Jesus Christ.
- Strong people skills, including good listening skills, warm personality and clear
- communication skills.
- The ability to take responsibility for the children, youth and family ministries of New
- Hanover Evangelical Lutheran Church.
- Gifts of empowerment, visibility, leadership, team building, flexibility, mentoring, and
- Strong organizational skills consistent with managing multiple projects and
- Capabilities: physically for active youth activities (local & regional travel, sporting
- events, mission trips, etc.), intellectually by growing through study and continuing education and emotionally by respecting personal boundaries and taking periods of rest and sabbatical.
- Ability to recruit and coordinate volunteers and to delegate duties and responsibilities, as needed.
- Have flexible hours, including weekends and multiple days for mission trips and/or ELCA youth gatherings.
- Excellent communication skills, including verbal, written, social media, etc.
- This position requires PA Child Abuse, FBI Criminal Background Check, and Criminal
- Record Check.
NHELC is seeking a candidate that meets the above criteria. Job requirements may be modified due to future developments of the COVID-19 pandemic.
a. A performance review at 30, 60, 90, and 180 days, and annually thereafter. For Rostered leaders of the ELCA, the review will be coordinated by the Senior Pastor and the Executive Committee of the NHELC Church Council. All others would be reviewed only by the Senior Pastor. Responsibilities, time commitments and compensation will be reviewed at these times.
Principal place of employment is the NHELC facility located at 2941 Lutheran Road, Gilbertsville, PA 19525.
(June 4, 2021)
Through relevant worship, Bible-centered teaching, compassionate Christian service, and warm, loving fellowship, our church family seeks to nurture and support believers in the Christian faith experience. Strong Christian Education, Youth Ministry, and Choir programs have been strengths of this congregation throughout the years as it strives to communicate our faith to the children and youth of our community.
New Hanover Evangelical Lutheran ChurchWhy Work Here?
Growing community with great assets in people, land and neighbors.
Please know that you are always welcome at New Hanover Evangelical Lutheran Church. New Hanover Evangelical Lutheran Church is a growing community of believers in Jesus Christ who seek to reach out with God's message of love to our community and world, inviting others to come into a living, dynamic relationship with our Lord. Through relevant worship, Bible-centered teaching, compassionate Christian service, and warm, loving fellowship, our church family seeks to nurture and support believers in the Christian faith experience. Strong Christian Education, Youth Ministry, and Choir programs have been strengths of this congregation throughout the years as it strives to communicate our faith to the children and youth of our community.
2941 Lutheran RoadGilbertsville, PA