POSITION SUMMARY: The Recreation Counselor is responsible for assisting in the planning, organizing and directing activity programs
with a therapeutic lens for youth growth and development. In planning and facilitating the variety of recreational activities offered, the
recreation counselor will consider the physical, creative, cognitive, social, spiritual, and community based needs of New Directions’ youth.
The Recreation Counselor is responsible for ensuring safety, collaboration and goal setting within all programming.
SKILL, QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, ABILITY & PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
Minimum Education and/or Professional Qualifications/Skills
High School Diploma/GED
Personal or professional experience with indoor & outdoor sports and/or arts such as biking, skiing, hiking, painting, pottery, dance,
gardening, general fitness and adventure activity
Any equivalent combination of education and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the
job, including challenge course facilitation and Lifeguard certification within 6 months of hire.
1. Plan, organize, and conduct a variety of therapeutic recreational activities using a variety of media for individual youth and groups
2. Maintains program records, contact hours and data tracking for accreditation compliance
3. Plan, schedule, and conduct formal classes that teach skills for a variety of activities, educational programs and opportunities in
camping, canoeing, swimming, hiking, biking, snowshoeing, skiing, challenge course and general adventure.
4. Organize and direct clubs and other special interest groups weekly, including but not limited to activities such as painting, pottery,
puzzles, beading, etc.
5. Maintain level of comfort and minimal knowledge with therapeutic animals
6. Introduce and involve children in community based recreational and charitable activities
7. Assist with supervision of youth as needed during meal times, de-escalation, transport and support staff for special events. Assist in
agency needs for transportation.
8. Assist and facilitate regular debriefing and activity integration with youth.
9. Provide input into the design of weekly/seasonal recreation services to ensure that programming matches the interest and needs of
the youth and campus.
10. Monitor daily campus facilities with due regard for the safety and welfare of the youth.
11. Assists in the maintenance, storage, and use of recreational department supplies in order to ensure the safety and health of self and
12. Document customer attendance, participation level at recreation programs and progress notes.
13. Maintains Therapeutic Crisis Intervention and First Aid/CPR certification provided by the agency.
14. Attend all mandatory in-service trainings, supervision meetings and other relevant trainings in order to maintain levels of expertise in
15. Assures challenge by choice programming.
16. Communicate with the all members of the Recreation team, Social Workers, Youth Counselor Supervisors and other departments for
17. Maintain the ability to effectively deliver and receive the needs and ideas of program promotion.
18. Performs other duties as requested by immediate supervisor(s).