Assistant Plant Manager
New Careers New Orleans, LA
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The Assistant Plant Manager is responsible for general supervision of all phases of plant operations including; production, quality assurance, maintenance, receiving and shipping. Responsibilities also include assisting in recruiting, hiring and training personnel and facility / physical plant up-keep and capital improvements. In addition the Assistant Plant Manager will be responsible for formulating with the Plant Manager the annual budget planning and execution of. Plant Manager and Assistant Plant Manager will work closely with the production team to increase productivity and profitability within the manufacturing operations. This person must be trained and have at least 3+ years of experience including best practices in both managerial and food production platforms. Must have knowledge and experience with HACCP, GMP, lean manufacturing and Six Sigma quality. Must have a proven track record of execution.
- Provide leadership for the successful day-to-day operation of the facility.
- Work closely with Quality Assurance personnel to review product consistency while monitoring yields to determine trends and areas of improvement.
- Review established production schedules for manufacturing departments to ensure established inventory levels are met while operating at the highest efficiency possible.
- Coordinate the hiring and training of all manufacturing personnel.
- Monitor operation expenses and research ways to reduce costs while maintaining product quality.
- Work closely to establish a safety stewardship in the plant and ensure all personnel are working collaboratively to invoke an environment of best safety practices. Establish, with the Human Resource Manager and Plant Manager a culture of safety policies to provide a safe workplace for our employees.
- Maintain and support a superior safety and housekeeping program, including all timely communication initiatives. (Accident reports within 1 hour, daily injury free count, TIR).
- Develop and execute the plant manufacturing budgets.
- Analyze workforce requirements.
- Conduct performance appraisals and provide coaching and guidance to all operations employees.
- Encourage and promote operating in a continuous improvement environment.
- Remove production constraints; allocate human and equipment resources and direct production employees to attain all established goals.
- Remove waste and constraints from the production process to improve efficiencies and enhance productivity.
- Work with the Purchasing Manager to develop and improve supplier relationships and efficiencies in procurement of product to maximize production efficiencies and waste elimination.
- Maintain security systems.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- 5+ year’s progressive experience in a key leadership / management role at a manufacturing facility.
- Minimum 3+ years’ experience with operations management in a food plant.
- Ability to create a team environment and collaboration up and down the organization. SQF certification and Food processing experience in a USDA plant.
- Previous experience / strong understanding of budgeting / expense management with a basic understanding of financial and accounting practices.
- Strong computer skills including the ability to prepare spreadsheets and use Microsoft Office Products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and / or Access) to analyze data and trends.
- Previous experience best practices implementing and using continuous improvement / lean tools such as Six Sigma, 5-S, Lean Manufacturing, Transactional Lean, etc. to drive improvement.
- Previous experience broad understanding of safety systems and enforcement of safety rules and policies.
- Demonstrated strong leadership, team building and advanced coaching skills.
- Demonstrated ability to motivate people, assess and develop employee skills.
- Demonstrated understanding of the principles and applications associated with manufacturing operations, maintenance and engineering.
- Excellent planning and organizational skills, with the ability to balance production and maintenance needs.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and listening ability.
- A strong ability to be adaptable and flexible.
- Strong analytical and decision making skills.
- Ability to work with teams and lead decision making processes in a team environment.
- Highly motivated, results oriented, driven.
Education and Experience Required:
Bachelor’s Degree in Business / Finance / Management / Operations or other related field. HACCP Certification
Preferred qualifications: Six Sigma, Green Belt or Black Belt certification, lean manufacturing principle implementation. Demonstrated ability to work in a fast paced, team based environment with changing demands. Familiarity with MRP systems Previous experience working in a cold refrigerated food plant environment Knowledge of Food Safety Programs (HACCP, GMP, Sanitation, Safe Quality Food (SQF))
AddressNew Orleans, LA