About New Avenues for Youth:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people thrive and experience health, well-being, and a self-determined home. New Avenues works in partnership with the Portland community to provide homeless, foster-care, and at-risk youth of all backgrounds with the resources and skills needed to lead healthy, productive lives. We are a diverse non-profit organization in our 21st year serving youth.
Our Commitment to Equity:
New Avenues for Youth imagines a community where all young people thrive and experience health, well-being, and a self-determined home. Historical inequities and intersecting forms of oppression such as racism, poverty, adultism, sexism, homophobia, and ableism, among others contribute to marginalization and exploitation of youth. We believe, to redress youth homelessness and housing instability we must challenge and dismantle racism and other forms of oppression and build relationships within our communities that advance equity.
At New Avenues, advancing equity is an ongoing commitment without closure. We remain open-minded and presume best intentions, knowing that discomfort and conflict are inevitable. We take risks and make and learn from our mistakes. We seek multiple perspectives, strive for transparency, remain humble, and resist the urge to silence hard truths.
The SMYRC East Coordinator is responsible for engaging community partners in east county and young people using the Positive Youth Development model by providing skill building and support services to LGBTQ youth. Their responsibilities include community outreach and engagement, carry out SMYRC east project, crisis intervention; resource brokerage and referral; case coordination and advocacy; guidance, information and services; group facilitation; maintaining a safe and supportive multicultural environment, and motivating youth to explore and build power in themselves.
Knowledge & Skills:
· Understanding of the issues of LGBTQ youth, substance abuse, mental health, trauma, abuse and adolescent development including brain development.
· Project management for on-going outreach efforts to increase youth participation and reach in East County.
· Ability to make effectively network and build community partnerships to increase prevention services for the SMYRC East program
· Collaborative engagement with diverse and varying community partners and agencies.
· Knowhow to maintain a safe environment, emotionally and physically for all youth.
· Competence to offer one on one support to youth, families, and community members seeking resources during SMYRC drop in hours.
· Ability to utilize harm reduction and youth empowerment models to provide on-going support, skill building and crisis management.
· Desire to engage youth in on going conversations about social justice, privilege and oppression, power dynamics and intersectional identities.
· Practices an understanding and respect for youth culture, families, and family systems. Utilizes respectful language and listens in a non-judgmental way. Motivates and engages youth individually and in groups.
· Ability to integrate and reconnect youth with natural supports and community resources.
· Desire to participate in the coordination of services and program development in an interdisciplinary, multi-agency team setting. Upholds the policies, mission, and goals of New Avenues for Youth.
· Implements the tenants of Positive Youth Development (Belonging, Competence, Usefulness and Inclusion) in all interactions with youth, projects and programs within the SMYRC center, work to maintain a space that reflects this.
· Ability to ensure that that youth, volunteers, interns and visitors adhere to SMYRC rules and practices developed in partnership with SMYRC youth and New Avenues staff.
Education & Experience:
· Bachelor’s degree in social work or related field and/or lived experience working with LGBTQ youth.
· Experience, ability, and commitment to working with sexual minority and culturally diverse staff, participants and community.
· Ability to engage young folks in creative and encouraging ways.
New Avenues for Youth offers a very generous benefits package. To apply, visit our website at http://www.newavenues.org/contact-us/employment-opportunities to submit your cover letter and resume. Please be sure to include where you came across this opportunity with your submission. New Avenues for Youth is an Equal Opportunity Employer.