NEVADA HEALTH CENTERS IS LOOKING FOR ENTHUSIASTIC MEDICAL ASSISTANTS WILLING TO FLOAT BETWEEN ALL OF OUR CLINICS IN SOUTHERN NEVADA.
Position Title: FLOAT MEDICAL ASSISTANT
Reports to: Senior Practice Manager
Supervising Others (yes / no): No
Work Location: Southern Region including Armargosa
The Float Medical Assistant is a versatile position that supports either front office processes, clinical processes, or referral coordination processes based on the needs of the practice and flow of the day. The Float Medical Assistant reports to the senior practice manager. Each assigned clinics practice manager or front office supervisor will supervise the float MA while at their site based. Participates in the delivery of excellent medical services in a patient centered medical home environment with an emphasis on the prevention of disease; coordinating and completing all front desk activities and necessary paperwork to intake patients, and prepare the patient for examination and/or procedures; administers medications under direction of provider; performs in office lab procedures and phlebotomy on pediatric and adult patients; sterilizes instruments and ensure compliance with OSHA regulations. This will include actively participating and supporting quality improvement activities and the clinical practice teams with these efforts.
Desired Education or Certifications Criteria
• High school diploma or general education equivalent (GED) required
• Certified by a nationally recognized accreditation body (i.e., AAMA, CMA, RMA or CCMA); or eligible to sit for the certification exam within the first 90 days of employment. Eligibility to sit for the exam is obtained by:
o Graduation from an accredited medical assistant program within the past 5 years; or,
o Worked as a medical assistant in a supervised work environment for at least 1 year in the past 3 years.
• Current CPR or BLS certification required
• Experience in a family medicine or pediatrics clinic preferred
Responsibilities / Functional Job Description
- Greets clients and patients using AIDET (Acknowledging, Introducing, providing the duration activities will take, explaining processes and procedures to the patient, and thanking them for trusting NVHC with their care)
- Answering phones and taking messages as necessary
- Verifying insurance eligibility
- Collecting, and assuring completion and signatures on all appropriate paperwork, including financial responsibility, HIPAA, sliding fee documentation, driver’s license, insurance and demographic information.
- Updating and maintaining registration information
- Checking for outstanding balances and encourages/collects payments on accounts according to appropriate policies of NVHC
- Prepare patients for examination and treatment. Take patient histories and vital signs
- Prepare exam and treatment rooms with necessary instruments
- Administer injections and applies dressings as instructed
- Prepare and maintain supplies and equipment for treatments, including sterilization
- Observes all infection control policies
- Assist providers in preparing for minor surgeries and exams
- Assist with scheduling of tests and treatments
- Maintain patient files, record and other information
- Attend required meetings and participate in committees as requested
- Works closely with the providers to receive guidance and instruction for treating patients
- Complete appropriate documentation in EHR on all patients treated
- Maintain appropriate communication and good interpersonal skills with supervisors, staff and patients to ensure coordinated efforts and provision of high quality service
- Utilize formal channels of communication to report concerns, personal requests and patient issues
- Manage time effectively to complete all patient treatments and related activities as assigned
- Maintain equipment in a clean and safe condition at all times
- Demonstrate support to others by offering help
- Take all necessary precautions to protect center assets and property against loss or waste through negligence or dishonesty
- Report to work properly dressed according to the approved dress code
- Utilizes equipment that interfaces with NVHC EMR system (e.g. EKG, spirometry, etc.)
- Perform related work as required Coordinate all primary care referrals to designated site (e.g., specialty services, diagnostic testing, and other outpatient services).
- Assist Women, Infant and Children (WIC) participants referred to NVHC primary care services with accessing services as quickly and efficiently as possible.
- Act as a patient liaison/advocate, to ensure an optimal patient experience in accessing NVHC services and also referred care.
- Escalate and communicate barriers identified in assisting patients to managers and team members; focusing on finding solutions to improve the patient experience and quality of care.
- Maintain ongoing tracking and appropriate documentation of referrals.
- Obtain prior authorization as needed.
- Ensure complete and accurate documentation, including patient demographic and current insurance information are received by specialist/facility.
- Maintains constant and proactive communication with patient about the referral.
- Assist patients in problem solving potential issues related to health care system, financial or social barriers (e.g., request interpreters as appropriate, transportation services or prescription assistance).
- Point of contact for patients, may assume advocate role on the patient’s behalf with the carrier to ensure approval of the necessary supplies/services for the patient in a timely manner.
- Identify and utilize cultural and community resources. Establish and maintain relationships with identified service providers
- Accurately maintain referral network contact information based on available resources, and/or approved referral network providers.
Desired Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Good oral and written communication skills in English and Spanish
- Knowledge of general office practices in a medical setting
- Skill in operating computer databases
- Ability to read, write, and calculate mathematical figures
- Respect and protect confidential data
- Relate to employees, patients, and the public to develop and maintain effective patient and work relationships
- Must be able to accept and function in stressful situations
- Knowledge of CPT and ICD-9-CM coding
- Knowledge of examination, diagnostic and treatment room procedures
- Skill in identifying and communicating problems to the supervisor
- Skill in following medical quality assurance and quality control standards
- Good telephone manners and etiquette
- Skill in documenting and maintaining patient care records