Director of Finance
Are you ready to help steer a well-established, forward thinking organization that impacts the lives of Bay Area youth facing adversity?
Do you want to work directly with a talented team of professionals and board of directors dedicated to meeting the ever-changing needs of young people?
Are you motivated by a challenging role in a fast-paced nonprofit that breathes diversity, invests in solutions, and makes a difference every day?
If so, then Side by Side might be the organization for you!
ABOUT SIDE BY SIDE
At Side by Side we walk with young people impacted by adversity on their unique journeys to heal from trauma, restore resilience, and embrace their own potential. We see our clients for the individuals they are and how all aspects of their life experiences have impacted their behavior, emotions, and ability to learn. We provide critical and comprehensive services that honor the young person’s unique needs and strengths to prevent the escalation of dangerous conditions and behaviors and set them on a positive path. When they feel seen for who they are today, we believe our youth can move with confidence toward a future with meaning and connection.
Since our founding in 1895 as a Marin County orphanage—and through subsequent years as Sunny Hills Services—Side by Side has been at the forefront of best practices in child welfare, working with the most vulnerable youth in our community. Our programs use data to drive outcomes and impact, while remaining open and responsive to the ever-evolving needs in the communities we serve. In summer 2018 we launched Side by Side, a new brand name and identity that reflects our organization and how we work. We operate in Marin, Alameda, Sonoma, and Napa counties, annually reaching over 2,500 children, young adults, and family members with much-needed services related to behavioral and mental health, early intervention in schools, LGBTQ issues, transitional housing, and special education.
DIRECTOR OF FINANCE
The Director of Finance role is a new position that reports directly to the CEO and is integral in leading the organization through the next chapter of its long and impactful history.
As a key member of the Senior Leadership Team and in close collaboration with the CEO, the Director of Finance supports a vision of long-term financial sustainability and mission-driven services for Side by Side (SBS). The Director of Finance leads development of SBS’s financial strategies, policies and practices, holds the overall responsibility for the books and records of Side by Side, and is directly responsible for budgeting, forecasting, financial and contract reporting, financing transactions, cash management, financial audits and compliance, and investments. They manage the finance staff and maintain oversight of accounting processes and internal controls, provide financial education and support to the leadership team in meeting SBS’s goals and objectives, support annual and strategic planning, and work with the Board’s Operations and Audit Committees, and with the Board of Directors.
The position can be based in Santa Rosa, Hayward or San Anselmo with minimum of 1-2 days a week on-site in San Anselmo, and occasional travel to other locations. Flexibility to attend staff, Board and Board Committee meetings in person or virtually. Positions Supervised: Accounting Manager and Billing/Payroll Specialist.
- Provide leadership and strategic direction to the Agency in collaboration with the CEO and Senior Leadership Team, including development of systems, policies, practices and procedures to effectively manage finances, programs and administration.
- Support a culture of excellence and participate in ongoing implementation of data-driven performance and quality-improvement plans.
- Establish strong relationships with members of the Board of Directors and attend Board meetings and staff Board committees at the direction of the CEO.
- Lead all financial management, planning and accounting functions, including developing the Agency’s annual operating, capital and cash flow budgets, cash and working capital, financial forecasts and contract, grant and proposal budgets.
- Manage the accounting system of record and budgeting/reporting systems, produce timely and accurate monthly and year-end financial, management and regulatory reports, variance and other analyses and annual financial statements.
- Serve as primary contact with outside auditors and supervise the audit of financial statements and all related regulatory and financial filings. Ensure compliance with financial accounting standards and relevant government accounting and reporting requirements.
- Establish accounting practices that conform to GAAP for nonprofits as well as all relevant federal, state and county cost practices, including those related to cost allocations, allowable costs, fund accounting and restrictions.
- Provide financial analysis and tools to assist program and department leadership in contract negotiation, budget management and development of corrective action plans, and to support investment decisions. Recommend benchmarks for measuring financial and operating performance.
- Manage and develop department staff and create, implement and maintain department policies, practices, procedures and internal controls to assure accurate and cost-effective operations.
- Manage and review investment portfolio, maintain compliance with investment policies and manage relationships with investment advisors. Participate as member of the Fiduciary and Investment Committee with oversight of the Agency’s 403(b) plan.
- In-depth knowledge of financial accounting (GAAP) for nonprofits
- 7+ years nonprofit accounting and/or health care accounting or financial work experience required with progressive responsibility and experience
- Experience managing staff for 2 years
- CPA or experience in public accounting preferred
- Strong analytical skills and ability to present information clearly and concisely, including development of financial dashboards with excellent attention to detail
- Knowledge of financial accounting, budgeting and reporting systems, with Adaptive Insights knowledge preferred
- Experience in developing short and long-term budgets and financial forecasts
- Knowledge and/or experience with government contract budgets, cost allocation methodologies, Medi-Cal billing, budgeting and reporting requirements preferred
- Knowledge of state and federal financial reporting and regulations
- High level of computer literacy, exceptionally high skill level with financial spreadsheet, budgeting and reporting tools
- Able to work comfortably and effectively with Board members, community partner organizations, a diverse group of staff members and the general public
- Commitment to the mission, vision, and values of Side by Side and commitment to developing team members Qualifications
- Able to travel to our work sites and meetings/trainings in the community