Nelson Engineering Co. is an employee owned, small engineering firm with approximately 80 employees that serve a variety of markets and employs engineers in the civil, chemical, mechanical, electrical, aerospace, industrial, environmental, and fire protection disciplines. We have performed work in most of the United States, and many international locations.
Our primary office is in Merritt Island, Florida immediately south of Kennedy Space Center. We have a significant aerospace heritage and provide an ever-expanding mix of engineering services to federal, county and city governments as well as commercial customers. We are focused on providing client value and exceeding our customers’ expectations.
The Business Specialist I will provide general accounting, accounts payable/receivable, payroll, contract support and other administrative functions as part of the Business Office.
- General Accounting Support; Accounts Payable / Receivable & Payroll
- Accountable for creating & vouchering invoices, issuing them to customers by all necessary means, and updating customer files.
- Process accounts payable, including tracking expenditures for projects.
- Work with project leads for project setup.
- Data entry of funding modifications and value.
- Works with contracting officers as needed for contract admin support.
- Charge code management.
- Contract modification coordination.
- Assisting with phones or reception as needed.
- Planning meetings and taking detailed minutes.
- Other administrative support to managers, other employees, and office visitors by handling a variety of tasks in order to ensure that all interactions between the organization and others are positive and productive.
- Solid organization and time-management skills.
- Effective interpersonal skills and strong communication (written and verbal).
- Detail oriented.
- Confident and ambitious problem solver.
- Creative, innovative & resourceful.
- Associates of Arts (AA) Degree in Business, Finance or other similar business trade or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Basic understanding of the contract lifecycle preferred not required.
- Should have good experience with MS Excel.
- Must be proficient in other MS Office products, Acrobat, e-mail applications.
- Experience of Costpoint a plus.
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
- Valid/Unrestricted FL driver license
Work Authorization/Security Clearance
- Must be a US Citizen
- Ability to obtain a clearance from the Defense Security Service and other Federal Government Agencies.
- Most work is performed in an office environment.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Regularly spend long hours sitting and using office equipment and computers.
- Regularly move from sitting to standing positions effortlessly.
- Regularly work on repetitive tasks.
Nelson Engineering provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.