Students and their families borrow money for college because it is an important investment in their future. Our goal is to help students borrow responsibly, complete their education, and find repayment solutions that work for them. As a Call Center Representative, you will provide excellent customer service by assisting borrowers so they can manage and successfully repay their student loans. You will help with student loan questions, repayment, consolidation, payment relief, and more.
Please note: Due to the current pandemic circumstances, training will be conducted virtually; in the convenience of your own home! To ensure you are set up for success during training, you will need access to reliable high speed internet as well as a place in your home to attend training without interruption. All of the necessary computer equipment, headset and training materials will be provided. The opportunity to continue working from home may extend beyond the training period, however, this position will reside in a Nelnet office as soon as our associates return to the office.
There are many benefits that our Call Center Representatives receive in their position:
- Learn skills that will help you grow in your career:
- Our representatives have excellent communication skills
- Improve on your professional development
- Have the ability to counsel individuals
- Gain the knowledge and ability to teach borrowers about their student loans
- Understand financing and the components that go with it, such as interest and credit reporting.
- Open doors for career growth within Great Lakes.
- Strengthen your resume. A representative position is a great way to enhance a resume by adding the skills you have learned while working for a large corporation in a professional office environment.
- Fulfilling customer experiences creating on the job satisfaction. You will never get a more genuine “Thank you” then when you help someone that is struggling with their student loans, and you were able to find a solution for them.
- Having a positive work environment is very important to us. Everyone works together to keep things fun and exciting. We also make a point to acknowledge our employees and their accomplishments.
- Group medical, dental and vision plans available upon hire
- Immediate generous Earned Time Off and holiday pay
- Tuition Assistance program
- 401(k) plan with an employer match
- Student loan repayment program
- Casual dress
- You will be offered many more tools, benefits, and information to enjoy quality of life through health, work-life balance and financial stability.
About the training
- Four week training class.
- Training 8:00 AM – 4:30 PM, Monday through Friday.
- Participation each day is required.
Hours after training
- After training is complete, the regular full-time schedule begins with a shift of 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. Monday - Friday. WE DO NOT CONDUCT BUSINESS ON WEEKENDS!
Great Pay! The pay for this position starts at $15.50 per hour.
Bilingual (Spanish) individuals can earn an additional $1.00/hour differential.
How should you apply for this great job?
If you like to make a difference and want to have a lot of fun along the way, we encourage you to explore opportunities with Great Lakes, a Nelnet company at GreatLakesCareers.com and click on Search.
This position requires work in support of the Company’s contract with the United States Department of Education (“ED”). As such, the United States Government requires that any applicant for this position must complete United States Government security clearance. Effective June 1, 2018, ED has informed Nelnet that security clearance applications for foreign nationals are not being accepted or processed. In light of this direction from ED, Nelnet will be unable to hire applicants without United States citizenship for such positions.
- Commit to Performance Based Organization (PBO) & Easy To Do Business With (ETDBW) philosophy
- Contribute to Continuous Process Improvement
- Ensure integrity of date and information
- Update information on accounts in the Loan Servicing and/or consolidation systems.
- Perform other tasks related to resolving customer needs, by displaying ownership on escalated calls.
- Contact customers on accounts, including outbound customer contact when appropriate.
- Negotiate transactions in accordance with established laws, regulations , and policies,
- Serve as a resource person with them as needed, including assisting new associates with training needs.
High school degree or equivalent required.
1 to 3 year customer service experience and/or general office experience preferred.
COMPETENCIES – SKILLS/KNOWLEDGE/ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of student loan industry, Loan Servicing and/or Originations systems preferred.
- Service Excellence
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Listening comprehension, reading comprehension
- Accuracy/Attention to Detail
- Work with MS Office
- Business Math
- Problem Solving
- Managing Multiple Priorities
Nelnet is an Equal Opportunity Employer, complies with Executive Order 11246, and takes affirmative action to ensure that qualified applicants are employed, and that employees are treated during employment, without regard to race, color, religion/creed, national origin, gender, or sex, marital status, age, disability, use of a guide dog or service animal, sexual orientation, military/veteran status, or any other status protected by Federal or State law or local ordinance. Qualified individuals with disabilities who require reasonable accommodations in order to apply or compete for positions at Nelnet may request such accommodations by contacting Nelnet Talent Acquisition & Recruiting.
Nelnet is a drug free and tobacco free workplace.
We provide payment technology for over 1,300 higher education institutions and 11,500 K-12 schools. We deliver world-class fiber internet, TV, and phone services to residents of Nebraska and Colorado. We help borrowers achieve their educational goals with private student loan and refinance solutions. And we help businesses boost their performance with our cutting-edge technology and trusted expertise.
Each day, over 6,500 Nelnet associates in more than 30 communities across the country work to serve our customers and make their dreams possible. And we’re on the lookout for new people to help us go even further.