Engineer / Scientist 3
Navarro Inc. Los Alamos, NM
- Expired: October 13, 2021. Applications are no longer accepted.
Navarro Research and Engineering is recruiting for an Engineer / Scientist 3 in Los Alamos, NM.
Navarro is a premier contractor providing high-quality technical services to DOE, NASA, and DOD. Navarros success is based on our customer service focus and our well-known responsiveness and innovation. In all we do, either in corporate management or in our services to our clients, we seek for the most effective and efficient approaches to provide best value to our clients.
This position will support the Los Alamos National Laboratory as a Navarro employee in a staff augmentation position. This position does not have relocation assistance or per Diem.
The work involved in this contract covers technical support to the Los Alamos National Laboratory NNSA and EM programs in preparation of TRU waste for packaging, shipping and emplacement, and resolution of specific issues that may be encountered with this waste. In execution of this job, requirements, DOE orders, policies and procedures applied to identification of TRU waste, solution to waste issues and assessment and resolution of issues with waste packaging, characterization, certification, and shipment to the Waste Isolation Pilot Plant (WIPP) will be implemented. The work involves application of waste and process chemistry for resolution of issues with waste acceptance at the WIPP. Specifically, support to the development of data to support the use of materials control and accountability data for certification of the radionuclide content in Plutonium Isentropic Compression Experiments (Pu-ICE) for certification of waste. This work includes development and review of data, interaction with the DOE Carlsbad Field Office National TRU Program Certification Managers, discussion with the department of Energy (DOE) and with regulators such as the Environmental Protection Agency. In addition to the work involved in the support of the Pu-ICE, support may also be required for development of sampling and testing plans that result in a better understanding of waste behavior such as oxidizer, reaction dynamics and chemical compatibility. The work will also involve review of technical analyses and reviews of characterization data collected from a broad range of waste characterization and assay methods to determine whether waste meets shipping, acceptance, and/or processing criteria. The range of work requested will range from thermochemical reaction dynamics within various waste materials to radiological dose expected from radionuclides within these materials. The products that will result from this work include waste-related analyses, technical and regulatory compliance reports.
* Requires a BS/BA degree in engineering or science plus ten (10) years of direct or related experience in the engineering or science field.
* Relevant experience includes, but is not limited to, extensive knowledge of analytical techniques, experience in gathering data to solve complex technical problems (e.g., requirements definition, operations research, modeling), and team leader responsibilities.
* In conjunction with the provision of professional services duties may include analysis of complex problems, definition of functional requirements, operations research, modeling, process analysis and design, developing and providing training materials, and providing daily supervision.
Due to the nature of the government contract requirements and/or clearances requirements, US citizenship is required.
Navarro is an equal-opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with a disability.
As a Federal contractor, Navarro complies with all Federal guidelines. Due to the current mandates on COVID-19 vaccinations, if you are offered employment, you will be required to provide proof of vaccination as a condition of employment unless you are legally entitled to a religious or medical accommodation.
* Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
* Retirement Plan (401k, IRA)
* Life Insurance (Basic, Voluntary & AD&D)
* Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick & Public Holidays)
* Short Term & Long Term Disability
AddressLos Alamos, NM
ScienceView all jobs at Navarro Inc.