- Posted: over a month ago
Responsible for technically supporting multiple databases that run NTU applications which are accessed by multiple departments. Provides technical expertise in the design, implementation, and maintenance of relational database management systems that support institutional business applications. Ensures logical data models are mapped effectively and efficiently into physical data models that take advantage of the characteristics of the specific database management system used. Secures, maintains, optimizes, and archives (backups) of NTU data. Maintains confidentiality of all privileged information.
JOB DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Reviews, develops, and designs data models using standard diagramming techniques, in conjunction with application development teams; creates logical data models and translates into physical database structures that integrate with existing or proposed database structures.
- Develops, implements, administers, and maintains policies and procedures for ensuring the security and integrity of the company database.
- Implements data models, database designs, data access and table maintenance codes.
- Resolves database performance and capacity issues, and replication and other distributed data issues.
- Monitors relational databases to optimize database performance, resource use, and physical implementations of databases; addresses a variety of database integration issues including migration between disparate databases, integration, maintenance/conversion, capacity planning issues, and new applications.
- Maintains, develops and tests in testing or development environment.
- Monitors and maintains database security and database software.
- Provides advice to applications programmers in the effective use of database languages; advises on troubleshooting, exception processing needs, and other data management issues.
- Maintains availability and integrity of databases through multiple access schemes; facilitates sharing of common data by overseeing proper key and index management and data dictionary maintenance.
- Evaluate and recommend testing and evaluation of new procedures, software, and hardware.
- Monitors and manages database backups, logs, and journals; installs, maintains, and upgrades database software; restores and/or recovers data.
- Creates, procures and maintains various database related documents such as manuals and programmers handbooks.
- Plan, coordinate, and implement security measures to safeguard information in computer files against accidental or unauthorized damage, modifications or disclosure.
- Develops new features, custom applications, and reporting solutions using program development and database technologies based on end user requirements and University needs.
- Ensures strict confidentiality of all information and records.
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by conducting research, attending seminars, educational workshops, classes and conferences; reviewing professional publications; establishing networks; participating in professional societies; conferring with representatives of contracting agencies and related organizations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, MIS, or related field.
- Two years in database management and report writing and in troubleshooting and customer support.
- MCITP Database Administrator Certification preferred.
- Experience with Microsoft SQL Server and backup software.
- Valid state driver's license.
- Must be able to pass background check, with NO prior convictions of any felonies.
The Navajo Nation Preference in Employment Act applies to all hiring, promotions or transfers of individuals into this position.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY REQUIREMENTS:
- Knowledge of current technological developments/trends.
- Knowledge of federal copyright laws as they pertain to the use of computer software.
- Knowledge of computer security procedures and protocol.
- Knowledge of data integrity methods and techniques.
- Knowledge of computer and/or network security systems, applications, procedures, and techniques.
- Skill in technical writing and documentation.
- Skill in report writing and programming.
- Skill with backup software and strategies, disk configuration and use of RAID.
- Skill in TCP/IP, DHCP, DNS, WINS technology.
- Ability to program using Visual Basic, PHP, JSP and other languages.
- Ability to administer Microsoft SQL Server, Microsoft Internet Information Server (IIS), and Microsoft SharePoint.
- Ability to interpret data models and to develop database structures.
- Ability to use standard diagramming techniques to design and develop computer data models.
- Ability to implement and troubleshoot programming changes and modifications.
- Ability to program, configure, manage, and maintain the operation of complex relational databases.
- Ability to develop and manipulate large, complex data sets.
- Ability to install, maintain, modify, and upgrade database software.
- Ability to interact and maintain good working relationships with individuals of varying social and cultural backgrounds, employees and officials.
- Ability to communicate effectively in the Navajo and English language.
- Required to sit for up to 8 hours per day.
- Ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel or crouch while performing duties.
- Ability to use hands to finger, handle, or feel.
- Ability to distinguish colors, good eye sight and capacity to read very small print.
- Ability to lift, push, or pull upwards of 25 pounds.
- Work is generally performed in office setting.
- Tight time constraints and multiple demands are common.
- Evening and/or weekend work may be required. Extended hours and irregular shifts may be required.
Navajo Technical University
TechnologyView all jobs at Navajo Technical University