Baking Teaching Assistant (1 position)
Navajo Technical University Crownpoint, NM
- Posted: over a month ago
Purpose of this position:
This position will help provide additional support for the Culinary Arts department. The assistant instructor position will allow for multiple projects to take place at simultaneous times. They will also provide the needed mentoring that a lot of our students require. The instructional assistant will also help in keeping up with the filing, ordering of products, help with catering events both on and offsite. They will also help in recipe development through our Indigenous Healthy Food Initiative.
The essential duties and responsibilities of a person occupying this position are:
- Mentor Baking Students
- Provide additional instruction to help meet our students growing needs.
- Help guide the students with baking skills.
- Ensure all students are meeting and following the national food and safety standards.
- Provide additional support for catering events.
Related Institutional Responsibilities:
There may be times where the assistant will have to help out in the cafeteria and have any number of students with them to provide practical application of their baking skills.
Professional Growth and Development
- Participate in Navajo Technical University functions that help to promote and maintain the Baking department in a positive manner.
- Establish common goals through the Indigenous Healthy Food Initiative;
- Maintain state-of-the-art professional knowledge and competence in the assigned subject area(s); Pre-Colonial Contact diets, Indigenous ingredients, current and future baking trends.
Non-standard work schedules required (other than 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday through Friday)
- Part time-Temporary Instructor/General staff position based on a 10-month/12-month contract.
- Catering staff supervisor for Baking and Catering division on weekends and nights
Minimum Qualifications - The minimum qualifications required for entry into this position are:
Formal Education and Training: Must have completed Baking 1 and 2, Banquets and Catering and Food and Beverage Management with a 3.0avg.
Years of prior experience at a comparable position: Have 2 years of restaurant industry or classroom experience.
Sufficient knowledge, skills or abilities to perform the duties of this position in the assigned subject area:
- Proficient in food safety and sanitation.
- ServSafe Certified
- Proficient baking skills
- ACF member
- Student of Culinary Arts or Commercial Baking
Preferred Qualifications - In addition to the minimum described above, the following qualifications are desired and will be used to distinguish between otherwise qualified applicants for the position:
Formal Education and Training:
Years of prior experience at a comparable position:
Professional credentials and memberships: (If any...)
Demonstrated knowledge, skills or abilities in the following areas:
- Knowledge of learning theory --- motivational, perceptual and emotional forces present in the learning process and the conditions which affect individual learning and change;
- Knowledge of time and resource management techniques;
- Ability to deal in a fair and courteous manner with a variety of individuals;
- Ability to convey ideas effectively to others in a group or one-on-one situation;
- Skill in researching information, identifying relevant facts, and deriving logical conclusions;
- Ability to maintain restraint and keep calm when faced with emotional or angry individuals;
- Ability to present self and the College in a positive, professional manner;
(Additional Job Information Including Physical and Mental Demands (e.g., sitting at the desk, exposure to noise, walking, lifting 15 lbs., etc.)
- able to lift 25 lbs
- Standing on their feet for hours at a time
- Works with a calm attitude in high pressure situations
- Able to follow instruction
- Able to work different schedules including nights and weekends
Navajo Technical University
RetailView all jobs at Navajo Technical University