If you're passionate about becoming a Nationwide associate and believe you have the potential to be something great, let's talk.
Number 57 on the Fortune Magazine 100 Best Places to Work.Compensation Grade: F4
Position could be filled at the Specialist (F level) or Sr Analyst (E level) depending on the expertise and skills of the selected individual.
Performs complex statistical analysis to determine pricing and market segmentation opportunities needed to create business strategies for pricing and underwriting. Works with supervision on complex multivariate statistical analyses (e.g. generalized linear models or machine learning algorithms). Works independently with full accountability for multiple concurrent small to moderate sized projects. May also assist with larger or more complex projects in the planning, design, and/or analysis phases, based on abilities and expertise. Uses internal and external data, often combined from multiple data sources, in order to complete the analysis.
Reporting Relationships: Reports to Manager or Director; responsible for management of research project management and/or statistical staff. No direct reports.
Core Duties and Responsibilities:
- Research: Consults with business customers to identify scope and specifications for project requests. Researches competitive industry trends, methodologies, and data sources. Incorporates established best practices into research projects and final product.
- Planning: Creates project plans based on customer input, data availability and best practices. Establishes criteria, assumptions, data sets and parameters for robust and fully encapsulated analysis. Negotiates timelines, priority and format of final deliverables.
- Analysis: Performs analysis of complex multivariate data and business scenarios based on experience and established department methodologies. Provides portfolio and trends analysis, vintage analysis, comparative analysis of markets/territories, actuarial judgment/ quantitative risk management judgment, and any additional assessment as indicated by project plan or ongoing identification of issues. Evaluates deliverables for accuracy, quality and relevance based on statistical and actuarial expertise.
- Decision-Making: Prepares and conducts presentations for, and holds discussions with business partners and department leadership. Interprets findings, provides options for consideration and recommendations for resolution of original issue/request.
- Consulting: Provides guidance, information and support for regulatory review of work product, as well as for Pricing and/or Product use of work product. Provides assistance for measuring the rate / profitability impact of work product.
- Design/Development: Assists in developing standard reporting packages for completed and approved projects from within the department. Monitors ongoing performance of assigned standard products.
- Other: Contributes expert/actuarial opinion on the structure of analysis, interpretation of findings, and usefulness of results. Remains a subject matter expert for the life-cycle of each project. Periodically evaluate, validate, and update models.
- Support adherence to enterprise model governance standards. Support includes documenting models, developing and executing controls, developing and performing testing, and identifying model limitations.
- Assists with core studies that require extended timelines, extensive data collection, leveraging associate knowledge, identifying root cause and associated influence. May be responsible for a segment of the work, or for integration of various project elements.
- Develops ad hoc queries via SQL, SAS or other software languages and applications for large data sources in support of department leadership, projects or business requests.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Typical Skills and Experiences:
Education: Undergraduate studies in statistics, data science, data analytics, actuarial science, mathematics, marketing research or related fields. Postgraduate degree strongly preferred.
Experience: Typically four years related experience with SAS, SPSS, R, SQL or other software building predictive models and manipulating data. Experience with problem solving in a business environment; working with large transactional databases. Works with insurance data and other comparable industry data experience to identify trends and opportunities.
Knowledge: Advanced knowledge of spreadsheets, data mining, statistical applications and data manipulation.
Skills/Competencies: Proven excellence in problem solving, analytical, research and quantitative analysis, and analytical working techniques including: regression, decision trees, multivariate analysis, etc. Strong verbal and written communication skills for interaction with client, work teams, vendors and associates. Proficiency in developing ad hoc queries using SQL or SAS.
Other criteria, including leadership skills, competencies and experiences may take precedence.
Staffing exceptions to the above must be approved by the hiring manager's leader and HR Business Partner.
Values: Regularly and consistently demonstrates the Nationwide Values and Guiding Behaviors.
Overtime Eligibility: Not Eligible (Exempt)
Working Conditions: Normal office environment. Extended and non-standard work hours based on project and customer deliverables.
ADA: The above statements cover what are generally believed to be principal and essential functions of this job. Specific circumstances may allow or require some people assigned to the job to perform a somewhat different combination of duties.
Evaluation Activity: JC/KP updated 2-2018
Additional Job Description#actuarialSmoke-Free Iowa Statement: Nationwide Mutual Insurance Company, its affiliates and subsidiaries comply with the Iowa Smokefree Air Act. Smoking is prohibited in all enclosed areas on or around company premises as well as company issued vehicles. The company offers designated smoking areas in which smoking is permitted at each individual location. The Act prohibits retaliation for reporting complaints or violations. For more information on the Iowa Smokefree Air Act, individuals may contact the Smokefree Air Act Helpline at 888-944-2247.