Drupal Developer (FS, BE & FE/React)
NIS is establishing an Open Source & Drupal Center of Excellence (CoE), which is focused on delivering unmatched expert open source and Drupal/Acquia development services. We are an 8(a) designated by the US Small Business Association and a Service-Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business (SDVOSB), with a wealth of government subject matter expertise; including: digital strategy, constituency engagement and efficient modernization & transformation.
This role is a unique chance to get in on the ‘ground floor’ of a compelling opportunity at the intersection of Drupal, open source and government/public service. In addition to fostering open source contribution by our team members, as an organization we provide financial support to open source organization and events. We have a particular interest in supporting Drupal and open source initiatives that can improve in delivery of government services, as well as cost/time efficiencies through re-usable open source code, standards and best practices. We believe that through the collaboration of our team, customers, and open source communities, we can collectively deliver better results for the taxpayers, constituents that the public we all serve.
We are looking to hire passionate Drupalists to join our mission-driven team. We are ideally seeking full-stack Drupal developers or architects; however, we are also interested in hiring skilled backend or frontend / React developers.
Our technical expertise, combined with a mission-driven team and over fifteen years of federal public sector experience, allow NIS to deliver an unparalleled Drupal and open source professional services offering for US federal government organizations.
- Must be US Citizen or Authorized to Work in the United States.
- Must be able to attain/maintain Public Trust clearance (bonus for pre-existing clearances).
Desired Backend Skills
- Fundamentals: Solid Drupal and PHP skills, with strong understanding of Drupal coding standards and best practices.
- Content Architecture: Strong understanding of Drupal content architecture (including Entities, Bundles, Fields, References).
- Application Architecture: Sound ability to architect applications (including contrib/custom module development, selection, usage & structure).
- Custom Development: Writing custom modules for Drupal 8 and patching Drupal modules, including debugging and Drupal Form API integrations.
- DevOps: Experience with established sysadmin tooling (Apache, NginX, Varnish, MemCache), caching/devops tools (Redis, Vagrant, Jenkins, Ansible), and more recent/modern dominant & emerging dev/orchestration tooling (Kubernetes, Docker/Docksal, containerization).
- DBs: Experience with xSQL database flavors, and comfort both direct db queries and Drupal conventions (including Views, EFQs, Drupal Migrations/Import and key APIs).
- APIs/JSON: Creating and integrating with APIs, as well as API-first development, in order to support 3rd party and decoupled frontend apps (JS, PWAs and especially React).
- Testing: Writing and managing automated testing and QA scripts to support TDD (including with Behat, Selenium, PHPUnit,etc.).
Desired Frontend Skills
- Fundamentals: Significant HTML and CSS/SASS development experience in accordance with Drupal frontend coding standards, including implementing wireframes, UX mock-ups, and designs in Drupal.
- Drupal Theming: Base/subthemes, custom themes, and extensive twig templating, responsive/breakpoints, and render API experience.
- Display Architecture: skills, including View Modes, Paragraphs, Display Suite, and Layout Builder.
- Custom: frontend development, including Drupal theme functions, hooks.
- Devsigners: Understanding of designs system and style guides, and in particular pattern libraries and component-driven development.
General Drupal & Development Responsibilities
- Fundamentals: In depth understanding of web & CMS fundamentals, including significant PHP/HTML development experience, including Syfmony and OOP.
- SDLC: Participate in all aspects of the agile software development lifecycle, and ideally architecture skills to translate functional requirements into technical specifications.
- TDD & CI/CD: Experience with Test Driven Development (TDD), continuous integration/deployment workflows (CI/CD), including artifact-base development/deployment.
- Agile: Experience in Agile methodologies including Scrum or Kanban, client meetings and scrum ceremonies (sprint planning, grooming, etc.).
- Git: strong Git and version control skills, including Git Flow.
- Drupal Site Building & Config: Familiarity with the Drupal admin UI and all aspects of site building, including with D7 Features and Drupal 8 Configuration Management, including config-split and config deployment best practices.
- Profiles/Distributions: Ideally an understanding of / experience with profiles, sub-profiles and Drupal distributions.
- Platforms/Many Sites: Ideally an understanding of / experience with platform / multisite / ‘many sites’ builds.
- Hosting: Experience with common hosting options, including: Acquia (Cloud, Site Factory, BLT), Pantheon (Terminus, Upstreams), AWS (Lamba, EBS, S3), GPC. and ideally on-prem/VPS.
- Integrity: Understanding that integrity is the cornerstone of all we do at NIS, and essential to our ability to delivering high quality software, on time & on budget.
- Team/Customer First: A commitment to supporting a strong team dynamic, putting team & customer priorities first, and always ‘doing the right thing’.
- Open Source/Community-Minded: A preference for some form of Drupal / open source code and/or community contribution/ volunteering.
- Civic-Minded: Interest in public service or supporting the efforts/success of key governmental organizations; we work for our clients, tax payers, and support our country – we must be cognizant of those customers in all that we do.
- Resourceful: Grit and flexibility to execute ad hoc assignments.
General Role Responsibilities
- Help our clients succeed with Drupal by developing and delivering cutting-edge web experiences through a delivery model focused on best practices, standards.
- Estimate the amount of work required to deliver requirements and report on blockers and collaborate with team members to reach resolution.
- Track time and expenses using project and organizational standards.
- Accountable for active contributions to technical architecture decisions.
Qualifications & Certifications
- 6-10 years’ experience with Drupal 7/8 development on large/complex enterprise Drupal sites, ideally including multisite / ‘many sites’ projects.
- Bachelor’s in computer science or comparable degree/enterprise work experience desired.
- Acquia Drupal 8 & 9 certifications highly preferred.
If you have any questions regarding the role, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our competitive benefits package includes medical and dental coverage, 401k plan with employer contribution, paid holiday, vacation and sick leave, metro-check program, and tuition reimbursement. If you enjoy working with bright, highly motivated people dedicated to excellence, please apply today!
Nationwide IT Services, Inc. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics.
Nationwide IT Services