National Smart Healthcare Services is seeking a PRN (temporary/as needed) certified Peer Specialist. A Peer Specialist is a person who uses his or her lived experience of recovery from mental illness and/or addiction. In addition to skills learned in formal training, to deliver services in behavioral health settings to promote mind-body recovery and resiliency.
The Peer Specialist will work collaboratively with clients in the National's service community. He/she will advocate on behalf of clients and help them to navigate the health and social services systems. The Peer Specialist will act as a coach and mentor and help clients to set goals and work toward necessary developing skills.
- Serve as a mentor for others with mental illness as each person pursues his/her individual Recovery journey.
- Teaches others about managing their mental illness.
- Demonstrates ways to become empowered and self-responsible.
- Supports others in learning how to make good choices for themselves.
- Resource acquisition including assisting consumers with application for benefits, basic needs such as housing, food, clothing, medical, dental care, legal, vocational, psychiatric services, etc.
- Coordinate with internal and external providers to assist consumers in reaching their goals
- Promotes consumer engagement in therapy with clinicians
- Exhibits enthusiasm, respect, adaptability, flexibility, and spirit of cooperation in the work environment
- Maintains appropriate professional standards and provides appropriate follow-up for consumer
- Demonstrates ability to work with consumers with diverse backgrounds.
Qualifications: High school diploma/G.E.D. Must have worked within the last three years with at least 12 months total of successful or part or full-time paid or voluntary work experience with people with mental illness. The Peer Specialist must have acquired or meet the qualifications for certification as a Certified Peer Specialist. Individual must have an understanding of and respect for each individual’s unique path. The Peer Specialist will serve as a role model, mentor, advocate and motivator to clients with varying states of mental illness. The Peer Specialist must demonstrate an ability to share personal experiences and to develop authentic peer-to-peer relationships.
National Smart Healthcare Services
Why Work Here?National Smart Healthcare is a Psychosocial Rehabilitation organization dedicated to the SMI population in communities around Texas. Since 2006, National Smart Healthcare Services has met the needs of adult consumers enrolled in a Managed Medicaid plan and living in the following service delivery areas: Harris County, Jefferson County Nueces County, Travis County, Bexar County, El Paso County, and Hidalgo County. Our staff includes certified case managers and licensed therapists ( LCSW, LPC, LMFT) with extensive training and experience in meeting the needs of consumers with Severe and Persistent Mentally Ill ( SPMI) adults in their home or community setting.
Excellent career opportunity to join our rapidly growing company with great benefits.