This position located in Pacific West Region and Pacific Islands Human Resources Office, in the San Francisco Office.
Learn more about this agency
- Serves as senior level Human Resources Specialist performing the full range of tasks in assigned program functions such as recruitment and placement, position management, pay administration, etc.
- Utilizes a wide variety of hiring authorities, both competitive and non-competitive. Provides human resources services to a variety of customers, and works with a wide variety of occupations series (both General Schedule (GS) and Federal Wage System (FWS) covering permanent, seasonal, temporary and TERM positions. Provides cross-functional advisory services to managers regarding recruitment, staffing, classification and position management strategies, performance management, compensation, employee relations, and/or labor relations. Analyzes difficult personnel issues and recommends options regarding application of program flexibilities to specific organizational problems and operations.
- Conducts job analysis with managers by analyzing the knowledge, skills and abilities (KSAs) required to perform stated work requirements. Validates applicant eligibility and qualifications or consults with subject-matters experts to verify applicant qualifications and ratings. Guides managers in developing and selecting appropriate criteria for evaluating job candidates and explains determinations to supervisors, managers, and job applicants. Informs applicants of hiring decisions and coordinates release dates or other required staffing actions.
- Completing and reviewing various personnel actions to include pay setting, nature of action, legal authority, and applicable remarks for permanent, term and temporary appointments, extensions, promotions, reassignments, changes to lower grade and details.
- Uses automated staffing systems to provide quality candidates to selecting officials. Develops on-line assessment questionnaires relevant to position requirements and assigns appropriate weight to each factor. Advises managers and employees on procedures and requirements of the automated systems.
- Performs the full range of recruitment tasks authorized under Office of Personnel Management (OPM) Delegated Examining Certification. Advises selecting officials of procedures and requirements governing Certificates of Eligibles, category ranking, and rules covering applicants with veterans' preference.
Occasional travel - You may be expected to travel for this position.
- #### Job family (Series)
- Human Resources Specialists
- Specialists, Human Resources
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship required.
- Appointment subject to background investigation and favorable adjudication.
- Meet Selective Service Registration Act requirement for males
- Selectee will be required to participate in the Direct Deposit Electronics Funds Transfer Program.
- Any individual who is currently holding, or has held within the previous 52 weeks, a General Schedule position under non-temporary appointment in the competitive or excepted service, must meet time-in-grade requirements (must have served 52 weeks at the next lower grade or equivalent in the Federal service). Time-in-grade requirements must be met by the closing date of this announcement.
- You may be required to operate a government (or private) motor vehicle as part of your official duties. Prior to your first official motor vehicle operation, and again every year thereafter (or more frequently if management determines such need exists), you will be required to sign an affidavit certifying to your possession of a valid State issued driver's license that is current and has not been revoked, suspended, canceled, or otherwise disqualified in any way to prohibit your operation of a motor vehicle. You will also submit a photocopy of your valid State issued driver's license prior to your first official motor vehicle operation, and again every year, or more frequently if management determines such need exists. Lastly, you may be required to submit (within a State sealed envelope or submitted directly by the State authorities), and at your own expense, all certified driving records from all States that discloses all valid driver's licenses, whether current or past, possessed by you. Please indicate in your application whether you possess a valid State driver's license.
- You may be required to work on-call, evenings, weekends, holidays, overtime and shift work.
- If you are a new employee or supervisor in the Federal government, you will be required to complete a one-year probationary period.
- You may be required to travel overnight away from home up to 5 days per month. You must obtain a government charge card for travel purposes.
- You may be required to complete training and obtain/maintain a government charge card with travel and/or purchase authority.
SELECTIVE FACTOR: Delegated Examining Certification is required. Candidates who do not meet this requirement by close of this announcement will receive no further consideration for this position.
- AND -
EXPERIENCE: At least one full year of specialized experience comparable in scope and responsibility to the GS-11 grade level in the Federal service (obtained in either the public or private sectors). This experience includes activities such as: 1) performing the full range of human resource duties in recruitment and placement AND at least one of the following areas: performance management, position management, pay administration, benefits, employee relations, and labor relations; and 2) providing technical advice and assistance to hiring managers and employees on a variety of human resources processes and/or procedures. You must include hours per week worked.
Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
You must include months, years and hours per week worked to receive credit for your work and/or volunteer experience. One year of specialized experience is equivalent to 12 months at 40 hours per week. Part-time hours are prorated. You will not receive any credit for experience that does not indicate exact hours per week or is listed as "varies".
There is no substitution of education for experience at the grade level(s) of this announcement.
This announcement may be used to fill additional positions if identical vacancies occur within 90 days of the issue date of the referral certificate.
Physical Demands: The work is sedentary. Some work may require periods of standing, carrying of files or pamphlets and
supplies. Incumbent may be required to travel to different parks/offices to provide HR services as needed.
Working Conditions:Work is performed in an office setting that is adequately lighted, heated and ventilated.
The National Park Service has determined that the duties of this position are suitable for telework and the selectee may be allowed to telework with supervisor approval.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document that you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application. Click the following link for more information, https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=AlternateApplicationInformation.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
A review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the Assessment Questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses provided in the Assessment Questionnaire, or if you fail to submit all required documentation, you will be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score will be adjusted accordingly. If a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications or experience, you can lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully; errors or omissions can affect your rating.