The primary purpose of the position is to perform journey level gardener duties that are necessary for the proper maintenance and care of landscaped areas.
Travel, transportation, and relocation expenses will not be paid. All travel, transportation, and relocation expenses associated with reporting for duty in this position will be the sole responsibility of the selected employee.
Learn more about this agency
- Plans and carries out gardening work based on project plans, master landscape, and long-range plans, making independent judgements within the framework of good gardening practices.
- Performs grounds maintenance to trees, shrubs, plants, flowers and lawns, taking into consideration the individual needs and/or characteristics.
- Uses and maintains a variety of hand and power operated garden tools and equipment, such as seeders, spreaders, edgers, hedge trimmers, pruning shears, sprayers, spades, hoes, rakes, and mowers.
- Operates a variety of gasoline, diesel, or electric powered wheeled vehicles, such as platform trucks, van trucks, stake trucks, or dump trucks, which typically have a gross vehicle weight (GVW) of not more than 32,000 pounds.
- Utilizes safety practices and procedures following established safety rule and regulations and maintains a safe and clean work environment.
- #### Job family (Series)
Conditions of Employment
- U.S. Citizenship required.
- Appointment subject to background investigation and favorable adjudication.
- Meet Selective Service Registration Act requirement for males
- Selectee will be required to participate in the Direct Deposit Electronics Funds Transfer Program.
- You will be required to operate a government (or private) motor vehicle as part of your official duties; a valid driver's license is required. You will be required to submit a Motor Vehicle Operator's License and Driving Record. You must also submit (within a State sealed envelope or submitted directly by the State authorities), and at your own expense, all certified driving records from all States that disclose all valid driver's licenses, whether current or past, possessed by you.
- You will be required to wear a uniform and comply with the National Park Service uniform standards. A uniform allowance will be provided.
- You may be required to work on-call, evenings, weekends, holidays, overtime and shift work.
- If you are a new employee or supervisor in the Federal government, you will be required to complete a one-year probationary period.
To qualify for this position, you must have sufficient knowledge and ability in the following job-related factors:
1. Ability to do the work of the position without more than normal supervision (SCREEN OUT)
2. Technical Practices (Theoretical, Precise, Artistic)
3. Use of Measuring Instruments
4. Ability to Interpret Instructions, Specifications; other than blueprints
5. Ability to Use and Maintain Tools and Equipment
6. Knowledge of Materials
7. Dexterity and Safety
If your knowledge and ability in the SCREEN OUT factor above is not sufficient, you will receive no further consideration. In preparing your application, describe in detail the experience and training which you have had that specifically prepared you for this job and to perform the duties described for this job. Experience should be clearly described and documented in your resume. The qualifications reviewer will not assume performance of such duties by Job Titles alone. Address your knowledge, skills and/or abilities in the areas shown in the job-related factors.
Volunteer Experience: Experience refers to paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work done through National Service programs (e.g., Peace Corps, AmeriCorps) and other organizations (e.g., professional; philanthropic; religious; spiritual; community, student, social). Volunteer work helps build critical competencies, knowledge, and skills and can provide valuable training and experience that translates directly to paid employment. You will receive credit for all qualifying experience, including volunteer experience.
There is no substitution of education for experience for Wage Grade (WG) positions.
This position is concurrently open to All United States Citizens under Announcement Number NC-1616-WHHO-19-10477856-DE.
This announcement may be used to fill additional positions if identical vacancies occur within 90 days of the issue date of the referral certificate.
Physical Demands: Work requires frequent walking, standing, pushing of carts and wheelbarrows, bending, and stooping, and climbs ladders to trim and/or prune trees. At this grade level, the gardener more frequently climbs ladders and stretches to prune or trim vegetation than at lower grade levels. Frequently lift heavy objects such as bags of fertilizer, grass seed, etc.
Working Conditions: Work is done outside or in a greenhouse. In working outside, the gardener is subject to discomfort from long periods in the hot sun, and sometimes to chilly or rainy weather. In some instances the conditions will involve working in air contaminated with chemical dust and sprays being used on trees and shrubs. Grade 08 gardeners are usually exposed to chemical sprays and dust more frequently than at the lower grade levels.
If you are unable to apply online or need to fax a document that you do not have in electronic form, view the following link for information regarding an Alternate Application. Click the following link for more information, https://help.usastaffing.gov/Apply/index.php?title=AlternateApplicationInformation.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
A review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the Assessment Questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If your resume is incomplete or does not support the responses provided in the Assessment Questionnaire, or if you fail to submit all required documentation, you will be rated 'ineligible', 'not qualified', or your score will be adjusted accordingly. If a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications or experience, you can lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully; errors or omissions can affect your rating.
Candidates who apply under Competitive Merit Promotion procedures will undergo a quality review to determine if they are highly qualified based on the content of their resume and their responses to the questionnaire. Best qualified candidates will be referred if all required supporting documentation has been provided.
Candidates who apply under Noncompetitive Merit Promotion procedures will undergo a quality review to determine if they are minimally qualified based on the content of their resume and their responses to the questionnaire. Qualified candidates will be referred if all required supporting documentation has been provided.
Please submit 1) a copy of your most recent performance appraisal/evaluation and 2) a list of any awards (e.g. superior performance awards, special act or achievement awards, quality step increase, etc.) you received in the last 5 years. Any performance appraisal/evaluation and award documentation you provide will be forwarded to the selecting official. The selecting official will review this documentation and give it due weight consideration during the overall selection process.
If you do not have your most recent performance appraisal/evaluation, please submit a statement as to why it is not available. Please indicate if any prior performance appraisals/evaluations were at an acceptable level.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
- Required Documents
The following documents are required and must be submitted by 11:59 PM (EST) on 05/06/2019.
1. Resume which includes a list of all significant jobs held and duties performed, with dates specified in month and year format, and indicate hours worked per week. If military or civilian, please include your rank and/or grade.
2. A complete Occupational Questionnaire
3. Merit Promotion Eligibility Documentationsuch as:
- Federal employees must submit a copy of their latest SF-50 "Notification of Personnel Action" that reflects career or career-conditional tenure, such as the initial hire, promotion, or reassignment, showing position title, series, grade and tenure (please do not submit an Award SF-50 unless it provides the necessary information) and, if different, an SF-50 showing highes