Experienced Mechanical Engineer - Automation Designer
National Integrated Automation Detroit, MI
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Job title: Lead Design Engineer - Automation Designer, NIA
Reports to: Design Manager
Supervisory responsibilities: No
Summary/objective: National Integrated Automation currently has an exciting opportunity for a Lead Design Engineer/Automation Designer in the Detroit Area. You will be responsible for the design and development of intelligent mechanical systems and industrial automation.
- Collaborate with project managers and customers from design concept through completion/runoff on customer’s floor
- Contribute to manufacturing design process / concepts by collaborate with Estimating, Controls, and Project management teams.
- Typically own’s the complete design life cycle responsibilities of a project.
- Understand various electro-mechanical actuators, rack & pinion, linear belt, ball screw
- Understanding needs of machine ergonomics, serviceability, and maintenance.
- Engineering structural components and validating with FEA.
Required competency, education, and experience:
- Experience: 7 to 10 years as mechanical designer, or 4-5 years mechanical design experience coupled with 3-5 years of fabrication, build and assembly experience on the shop floor.
- Knowledge and experience with SOLIDWORKS mechanical design software.
- Inventor will be considered
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Effective oral and written communications with customers, suppliers, and within the TSG team.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously.
- Detail orientated.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality on sensitive projects.
- Ability to maintain a professional appearance and demeanor at all times.
- Remain flexible while working in a fast paced, frequently changing environment.
- Ability to work in a team-based environment
- Legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship
Preferred education and experience:
- 10+ years in a lead design role for industrial automation machines.
Work environment: Office setting in a manufacturing environment – Possible off site (work from home) environment. Detroit Area preferred.
- Sit for long periods of time.
- See details of objects that are less than a few feet away.
- Understand the speech of another person.
- Speak clearly so listeners can understand.
- Use fingers to grasp, move, or assemble very small objects.
- Ability to lift up to 20 pounds
Position type and expected hours of work: Full time
Travel: None typically. 0 - 5% potential travel associated with role as needed.
Travel may require:
- Air travel
- Overnight stay for 1 or 2 nights.
Compensation/Benefits: NIA offers a competitive compensation and benefits package which includes competitive pay, dental insurance, vision insurance, health insurance, short term disability, long term disability, company paid life insurance, voluntary life insurance, 401(k) plan with match, education reimbursement, paid vacation and holidays, and flex spending.
Other duties: This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change, or new ones may be assigned at any time with or without notice.
NIA is an Equal Opportunity Employer. NIA does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or any other basis covered by appropriate law. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit, and business need.
Robot Transfer Units ~ Floor or Elevated
Robot Elevator Units ~ MH & Aerospace Applications
Servo or Cam Indexing Turntables
(3) Axis “H” Positioners (Turntable & Dual Trunnions)
(3) Axis Ferris Wheel Positioner – Multiple Widths
Horizontal & Vertical Indexing Conveyors
Accumulating Shuttles: Storage Buffers & Pallet Return
Floor “Lift & Transfers”
Overhead “Lift & Transfer”
Press Room Equipment
Standard Weld and Material Handling Cells
Post Process Assembly Systems
National Integrated Automation
Founded in 2016 and located in Grand Rapids, MI, National Automated Integration (NiA) manufactures a wide array of products for the industrial automation market. We offer standard products as well as custom engineered solutions. Robot Transfer Units ~ Floor or Elevated Robot Elevator Units ~ MH & Aerospace Applications Part Shuttles Servo or Cam Indexing Turntables Trunnion Assemblies (3) Axis “H” Positioners (Turntable & Dual Trunnions) (3) Axis Ferris Wheel Positioner – Multiple Widths Horizontal & Vertical Indexing Conveyors Accumulating Shuttles: Storage Buffers & Pallet Return Floor “Lift & Transfers” Overhead “Lift & Transfer” Press Room Equipment Standard Weld and Material Handling Cells Post Process Assembly Systems Aerospace Application