Civil / Municipal Engineer
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The Senior Environmental Employment (SEE) Program offers unique opportunities in Scientific, Technical, and Administrative / Office support for individuals age 55 and over and per EPA Policy applicants must be US Citizen to support the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) through a grant administered program through National Experienced Workforce Solutions (NEW Solutions). This is a unique program where your talents, expertise and experience will truly be valued. The EPA provides a wonderful work atmosphere, and you'll be working side-by-side with EPA staff that are doing important work every day. Paid Health Insurance Premium, Paid Vacation, Paid Sick Time, Paid Federal Holidays + One Individual Holiday, and optional Vision and Dental Insurance available
Minimum of 10 year(s) of experience in Municipal Civil/Water/Wastewater engineering - consulting engineering or public sector project experience in municipal wastewater collection and treatment system designs, design project reviews, and project approvals OR BA/BS Degree in Civil Engineering or Environmental/Sanitary Engineering OR Previously completed training in Municipal wastewater collection system design and operations: Municipal wastewater treatment system design and operations; optional advanced wastewater treament training.
- Engineer Intern (EI/FE) certification of Professional Engineer (P.E.) license or professional engineering experience in municipal wastewater engineering included in acceptable work experience above. Optional engineering work experience in drinking water treatment designs including pump station and force main designs. Experience in construction administration and observation. Ability to understand and review technical, administrative, and regulatory documents to assure projects comply with CWSRF and permitting requirements. Ability to read and understand technical documents and information for projects, perform detailed project technical review and prepare comments for projects. Ability to perform complex civil and environmental engineering calculations. Ability to input and develop reports using databases. Fluent and tactful communications both written and oral in English to communicate with permittees, consulting engineers, stakeholders and the public. Ability to prepare and make technical presentations. Licensed driver and ability to travel to remote sites for meetings and inspections. Must have physical mobility to inspect construction sites in rugged terrain. Capacity to adjust to change, work pressures or difficult situations without undue stress. Must demonstrate initiative, customer service and team orientation and display high standards of ethical conduct. Ability to input and develop reports using databases. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision. Technical Engineering skills, attention to detail, customer focus, ability to work alone and as part of a team.
- Experience required with MS Word, Excel, Access, Scanner
- Web-based Wastewater database; scientific calculator & computer software to check wastewater design calculations
Working at the Iowa State Department of Natural Resources, this environmental position, this position will provide engineering and high level technical review of facility plans (engineering reports) and construction permit applications, and management of waste water treatment projects funded with the Clean Water State Revolving Loan Fund (CWSRF) in accordance with Iowa waste water facilities design standards, Iowa and Federal rules, statutes, standards, and procedures.
- Review of Facility Plans: Technical review of facility plans addressing adequacy of design basis in conformance with state, federal rules, standards and siting requirements. Follow the Wastewater Engineering Construction Permitting Process Manual, coordinating with cities and their consultants and other agencies as necessary. Coordinate activities with Des Moines Natural Resources field office and NPDES staff on project specific and siting issues. Ability to read and understand technical documents and information for projects, perform detailed project technical review and prepare comments for projects. Ability to perform complex civil and environmental engineering calculations. 30%
- Review construction permit applications: Projects will conform to current design standards. Document reviews and comments made, transmitting clear and concise comments to the project owner and consultant. Meet as necessary to resolve technical issues. Follow the prescribed process in the permitting Wastewater Engineering Construction Permitting Process Manual. Review and assess conformance with CWSRF rules and requirements. Issue construction permits. 30%
- SRF Project Coordination, including planning prior to Facility Plan submittal and Technical Assistance: Coordinate assigned projects according to the Wastewater Engineering Construction Permitting Process. Use tracking system for administrative management of project information. Perform professional contacts and document actions. Maintain project schedules by timely reviews and responses. Coordinate with Cities, their representatives, citizens and other agencies to expedite project approvals. Final inspection of projects after completion of construction and acceptance by Owner. 30%
- Other related duties as assigned which may include special wastewater projects. Enrollee must have strong ability to work independently with minimal supervision. 7%
- Other duties as assigned 3%
- We may provide training in wastewater treatment and collection system design and operations; state rules and design standards; standard operating procedures including permitting process manual orientation. Most of this training will be through an assigned internal DNR work mentor or through DNR reference material. Some of it may be external training.
- Travel Requirements: 1-2 per year.
- Overnight travel: 1-2 per year
- Air travel anticipated: 1 per year if needed
- Rental cars: 1-2 per year
NEW Solutions is committed to promoting equal opportunity and to an environment free from discrimination and harassment in any form administering Experienced Worker Programs under cooperative agreements with federal agencies. It is NEW Solutions' policy to comply with all applicable laws that provide equal opportunity and to prohibit unlawful discrimination in enrolling participants in the federal programs.
National Experienced Workforce Solutions
AddressDes Moines, IA
ConstructionView all jobs at National Experienced Workforce Solutions