Chief Financial Officer
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Looking to innovate, grow, and make a positive impact on the lives of others? Join a nonprofit service and advocacy organization whose mission is to improve the lives of older adults, especially those who are struggling.
We are NCOA and we believe every person deserves to age well. That’s why we’re on a path to improve the lives of 40 million older adults by 2030. NCOA, a national voice for every American’s right to age well, has an exciting opportunity for a Chief Financial Officer, in its Arlington, VA/Crystal City office.
The Chief Financial Officer is a high-visibility strategic partner to the CEO and the Executive Team and is responsible for overseeing the fiscal health and sustainability of the organization and will play an integral role in establishing and measuring the organization’s goals and results. Ideal incumbent will have a leadership style that embodies a mix of transformational, results oriented, collaborative leadership and fosters an environment of continuous improvement, building and motivating teams, enhancing processes and systems, and planning and measuring outcomes that promote the most efficient work practices for NCOA, while maintaining the highest standards of controls and governance policies.
NCOA is a complicated and growing ($60-70 million) charitable organization with federal, foundation, corporate and private philanthropic support, with both restricted and unrestricted funding sources. The strategic, data-driven and collaborative leader is responsible for ensuring best practices in financial planning, oversight of investment funds and portfolio management, controls and reporting systems, assessing and mitigating risks, enforcing superb compliance, and developing the accounting/finance team to support the growth of the organization. These efforts include proactive long-term strategic financial planning process, financial statement oversight, internal and external financial reporting, federal and non-federal compliance and cost structure management, budget and forecast process and delivery and management, management of financial and tax audits, investment oversight, oversight of management financial controls, systems and procedures, and supervision and training of the finance and accounting team. The position will have oversight of the organization’s investments portfolio thus providing best practices on the ongoing management of those funds.
The CFO also oversees and serves as the strategic leader for NCOA’s Information Technology (IT) services functions. The IT services support both internal staff needs as well as significant digital assets that are provided with external facing solutions as part of our mission in serving older adults. As a collaborative, influential leader this role will serve NCOA in leveraging technology to advance the integration, quality, effectiveness, and efficacy of the enterprise IT systems components.
Key responsibilities include the following:
- Provide the vision, strategy and leadership required to develop and execute results-oriented growth strategies while fostering a collaborative and diverse work environment that thrives on accountability, innovation, integrity, creative problem-solving, motivating staff, mentoring managers, and developing leaders—all with a mindset of continuous improvement.
- Possess a strong understanding of a variety of business models and be able to use this knowledge to provide an independent perspective and to constructively challenge and enhance the operations teams, ensuring that business decisions are grounded in solid financial criteria and the ability to facilitate the establishment and monitoring of key goals and outcomes.
- Partner with the CEO and Executive Team to implement and lead long-range planning to address models of strategic efficiencies and continuous improvements in financial planning and analysis and contract management process to align with and support and measurement of the organization’s strategic and financial goals.
- Utilizing predictive modeling, analyzing macroeconomic trends, and incorporating non-financial information, incumbent will navigate complex data and provide analytics scenarios that drive action and decision-making, while identifying opportunities for top-line growth, and drive revenue and margin improvement; through the traditional methods of cost control and through profitability analysis and benchmarking against industry peers.
- Serve as a business acumen for leading the organization through sound financial goal setting and transparency in achieving performance targets, including communicating the strategy and progress against it to external stakeholders, the Board of Directors, and the Finance Committee.
- Responsible for leading a high-performance team and ensuring regulatory compliance, accurate financial reporting and effective stewardship of the enterprise’s assets.
- Experience establishing, managing and reporting on the organization’s growing investment portfolio, including and understanding of different oversight and investment models and other best practices.
- Responsible for all organizational technology strategy and deployment and technological resources associated with both our internal and external-facing systems that aligns with the business, operational, and financial objectives of the organization. In partnership with various internal and external technology SMEs and product line directors, incumbent will establish, evolve and maintain NCOA’s strategic technology vision as well as the corporate strategies designed to deliver on that vision. Experience overseeing transformation and process improvement programs a plus.
- In partnership with various technology SMEs and program area experts, incumbent will remain well informed of emerging technology trends and the relevant marketplace and will consider these in anticipating the future technology-related needs of the organization and our consumers.
- Other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or Finance; MBA and CPA highly preferred.
- Experienced strategic Finance leader with 15+ years of experience demonstrating the complexities of managing multi-program organizations from a financial perspective; utilizing Deltek Costpoint or similar activity-based, project accounting system. Background in investment management a plus.
- Technology management, transformation, and automation savvy required; previous experience overseeing IT programs is highly preferred.
- Nonprofit financial management experience including large grants, federal and corporate contracts, and individual giving.
- Experience in private, professional services environment combined with demonstrated corporate finance experience strongly preferred.
- A hands-on, take-charge financial professional with strong data-driven financial and analytical skills.
- High level of integrity and ability to collaborate, coupled with a proactive and results-orientation mindset.
- A successful track record in setting priorities; keen analytic, organization and complex problem-solving skills which support and enable sound decision making, with the desire to brainstorm future-thinking ideas.
- Excellent communication and relationship building skills with an ability to prioritize, negotiate, and work with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Track record of balancing the coordination of fast-paced daily priorities with measuring and achieving important, longer-term strategic efforts.
NCOA is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to a work environment that supports, inspires, and respects all individuals and in which personnel processes are merit-based and applied without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, age, disability, national or ethnic origin, military service status, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. NCOA believes that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.
National Council on Aging
Finance and Insurance
Get fresh Chief Innovation jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.