The Communications Manager is responsible for key program, technical and editorial functions in support of NACHC’s communications priorities and objectives. Performs direct oversight in key communications areas, including NACHC’s websites, Community Health Forum magazine, and brand/publishing standards.
- Monitors internal adherence to NACHC publishing standards and internal/external use of NACHC brand tools (i.e., publications guidelines, logos, templates, etc.) Maintains all related files. Makes recommendations for updates/changes. Community Health Forum Magazine
- Collects information and writes content for “Of Note” and Calendar columns
- Writes feature articles as assigned.
- Manages advertisements (i.e., reviews ad applications, responds to questions re placement, fees, ad specifications and billing issues)
- Serves as liaison between advertisers, layout/designer and print vendor)
- Maintains an archive system for retrieval of articles by authors’ names, article titles, topics and publishing dates
- Posts articles/columns of issues online
Proofreads and edits as assigned Website/Social Media
- Responsible for day-to-do management and maintenance of NACHC’s main website and works collaboratively with staff to ensure all website content is kept up-to-date and meets style, readability and search optimization standards. This also includes writing/editing general content areas such as landing pages when needed.
- Responsible for oversight of all other NACHC websites to ensure adherence to NACHC policies and standards. Recommends new and/or updated policies and procedures when necessary.
- Assesses NACHC’s main website and advises EVP/Communications and COO of technical changes necessary to ensure it serves as an efficient portal to other major NACHC information areas such as conferences/trainings, learning management system, advocacy, etc.
- Trains and supports designated staff on creating and posting website content Participates in promotional activities using social media (i.e., Twitter, Facebook, etc.) during NACHC conferences.
- Serves as the primary point of contact with website developer to facilitate additions/changes to site infrastructure.
- Performs user analytics and provides reports regarding all NACHC websites.
- Serves as backup to Director of Digital Communications in his/her absence on social media issues. General Communications
- Develops/maintains communications databases (i.e. contacts and organizational photo archives).
- Performs tasks associated with the development, production and marketing of the Annual Health Center Compensation and Benefits Survey and Report (i.e. liaison with vendor on project timelines, drafts marketing materials, handles billing/ordering matters, etc.)
- Assists the EVP/Communications in staffing the Consumer/Board Member Committee meeting (i.e., prepares and sends committee notices and related materials, takes committee notes and assists in developing reports and minutes).
- Collects information and writes/distributes bimonthly internal electronic employee newsletter.
- Performs research and writes/edits blogs as assigned.
- Compiles information and creates promotion/messaging walk in slides for the CHI and P+I Conferences.
- Maintains general files related to communications activities (i.e. invoices, contracts, special projects) and communications projects (i.e., videos, newsletters, reports and other publications/deliverables).
- Utilizes various computer applications including word processing, spreadsheets, database, graphic design and print production to support development of presentations, reports, speeches, press releases, publications, and in preparing and distributing electronic communications (i.e., mailing lists, blast emails, etc.)
- Other duties as assigned.
- Education Bachelor’s degree (preferably in communications, marketing, journalism or public relations)
- Experience/Ability/Knowledge At least 4 years work experience in communications, PR, marketing or journalism (may be combined with related volunteer and/or college related experience, such as internships)
- Strong written, verbal, proofreading/editing, research and analytical skills.
- Must be able to multitask and meet deadlines – attention to detail is essential.
- High proficiency in Microsoft Office software.
- Experience with Adobe Photoshop and InDesign a plus.
- Must be proficient in using social networking tools (e.g., Facebook, Twitter), video sharing/hosting sites (e.g. Vimeo, YouTube, Flickr).
- Experience with a web content management system a plus.
- OTHER Must be willing and able to travel. Must work well with others as well as independently. Strong customer service skills.
National Association of Community Health Centers