Natel Energy, Inc Alameda, CA
- Posted: 19 days ago
- Benefits: 401k, dental, medical, vision
As a Mechanical Designer on Natel Energy’s Turbine team, you will play a key role in the development and manufacturing of Natel’s family of low head fish safe hydro turbine products. Our organization requires a skilled and detail oriented individual who is excited to bring their technical communication, design, and process skills to bear on modern renewable energy hydro turbine equipment.
- Are you passionate about implementing robust CAD modeling processes that get you to a stable, manufacturable result? Do you enjoy finding ways to parameterize, standardize, and simplify designs – and do you enjoy helping others accomplish the same?
- Is achieving a well-fit, suitably finished, properly constrained and easily assembled design – virtually or physically – in the face of real-world tolerances and limitations a rewarding puzzle to solve?
- Are you also passionate in your pursuit of clear production drawings? Have you ever hung up or shared a print you were particularly proud of, or gotten thanks from the shop floor for your efforts?
- Does working with multiple collaborators on a range of parallel design projects sound exciting rather than daunting? Do you take pride in your organizational and communications skills?
If this sounds like you, we encourage you to apply to this opportunity!
Your role will cover the following areas of responsibility:
- Mechanical design: You will work with the engineering and production teams to take existing preliminary and detailed product, assembly, and component designs forward through final definition and release. You will create and document tolerance stackups across cast, forged, fabricated, machined, and composite parts; incorporate design details such as seals, fasteners, routing, and mounts; ensure access and clearance for assembly and tools; and provide feedback to engineers on how to improve our products.
- Drafting: You will use your knowledge of machine design and drafting standards to produce well thought out production drawings for parts using a range of manufacturing processes and materials. You will take care to ensure that interfaces between parts are properly defined, that finished parts meet requirements, and that expectations of suppliers are clear and comprehensive.
- Process Control: You will become a go-to on our team for proper product CAD model definition and upkeep practices, use of release and revision workflows, and general fostering of a robust design environment where a range of product sizes and variants can be managed efficiently and effectively.
- Inspection and Assembly: You will also be an important part of our team’s inspection and assembly functions by ensuring part quality assessment is clearly defined and properly executed (whether by you, a teammate, or a supplier), and similarly, that assembly instructions and drawings are clear and complete down to the details of fastener torque specifications, bills of materials, etc.
To succeed in this role, you will have:
- At least 5 years in a similar role
- At least an associates degree in Mechanical Design or similar
- Extensive 3D CAD modeling experience, preferably in Siemens NX
- Extensive mechanical drafting experience, preferably in Siemens NX
- A well-versed understanding of ASME Y14.5 GD&T
- The ability to select / specify mechanical components such as bearings, fasteners, seals etc using design standards and handbooks
- Strong written and verbal communication skills – comfortable receiving as well as providing direction from/to engineers, designers, technicians, and vendors
The following specific skillsets are pluses:
- Endorsements or certifications in applicable skill areas
- Experience with PLM tools, preferably Siemens Teamcenter
- Hands-on experience with relevant processes (machining, fabrication, casting, inspection, assembly, etc) whether professionally or personally
- Knowledge of AWS 1.1 / 1.6 design and fabrication standards along with ANSI/AWS standard weld symbols
- Familiarity with the Master Model design approach
Natel will consider excellent candidates for remote employment, though if remote your role may require at least occasional onsite presence at Natel’s Alameda, CA facility.
This position will report to Natel’s Director of Engineering.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com in PDF format.
Please reference “Mechanical Designer” in the subject.
Natel Energy, IncWhy Work Here?
Contribute toward our mission of sustainability and watershed restoration as part of our small product development team!
Natel Energy is changing the way hydropower is built and operated to enable sustainable, climate resilient, low cost hydro.
23 Monarch StAlameda, CA
ManufacturingView all jobs at Natel Energy, Inc