Pharmacy Technician I
Nashville General Hospital Nashville, TN
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Pharmacy technician assists in preparing and distributing medications, maintaining the drug inventory, and maintaining patient records. Pharmacy technicians work only under the supervision of a registered pharmacist. They do not perform duties that can legally be performed only by a registered pharmacist. Compounds non-sterile pharmaceuticals, fills automated dispensing machines accurately. Performs other duties as assigned.
Departmental Responsibilities: Strives to improve the overall effectiveness of the Pharmacy Department
- Uses work time productively; limits personal phone calls, personal written communication, visitors, etc. to break and meal times
- Demonstrates flexibility in working hours, shift schedules and assignments to meet staffing requirements
- Accepts responsibility for attending staff meetings, reviewing staff meeting minutes and all other
- Pharmacy Department communications
- Completes and documents daily and monthly Quality Assurance (QA) checklists including nursing unit inspections, temperature logs, IV Cleaning records, and expired medication checklists.
Drug Distribution: Ensures accuracy in the distribution and transportation of drugs
- Consistently makes pickup and delivery rounds as required; willingly provides special delivery service as needed
- Correctly and safely delivers drugs to the designated location/person maintaining visual contact with the delivery cart always
- Delivers orders to correct location in a timely manner; Promptly returns to pharmacy
Drug Inventory: Assist with the accurate maintenance and control of the pharmacy drug inventory
- Correctly checks in wholesale drug orders in accordance with hospital policy, bar-coding medications when technique available.
- Demonstrates the ability to create a purchase order and utilize the wholesaler's ordering system to place orders.
- Routinely rotates stock to ensure inventory remains current, using required stickers and appropriately inspecting assigned areas monthly.
- Appropriately discards wasted and destroyed drugs in accordance with pharmacy procedures and regulations.
- Correctly stocks automated dispensing machines and stock areas without exception.
- Correctly processes and files returned narcotic records, inventories, and ADM reports daily. Files in storage at end of month.
Drug Orders: Assist Pharmacist in filling drug orders in accordance with Pharmacy Policy
- Accurately fills drug orders according to labels provided by the Pharmacist
- Consistently unit doses with generic name, lot number, brand and expiration date for items which are not unit dose.
- Correctly fills stock drug requests for pharmacist review before delivery
- Demonstrates knowledge of ADM procedures and correctly fills stock in cabinet, researching cause of any missing stock.
Professionalism and Self Development: Strives to maintain a high-level professionalism
- Participates in performance improvement programs and ensures compliance with TJC standards
- Accepts accountability for actions by utilization of self-evaluation, peer and supervisor evaluation to
- modify job performance
- Articulates and demonstrates a professional image daily to patients, visitors and other professionals
- Achieves required continuing education to maintain certification; applies for renewal in a timely manner without lapse in certification or state registration.
High School Diploma (Equivalent) or Higher Required
Certification & Licensures:
Active pharmacy technician registration in the state of Tennessee required. Registration with the State of Tennessee will be required within 90 days of beginning employment with Nashville General Hospital.
0-12 months pharmacy technician experience required.
Full time, Weekdays, evenings, weekends, rotating shifts and holidays as necessary.
Nashville General HospitalWhy Work Here?
Community based, awesome CEO, great benefits and room for growth!
Nashville General Hospital at Meharry is a publicly supported, academically affiliated community-based hospital. We are committed to providing excellent healthcare regardless of age, race, creed, gender, sexual preference or ability to pay. With the alliance of Meharry Medical College and Vanderbilt University, the Medical Staff and our employees will provide an educational and research environment based on the provision of comprehensive, compassionate, acute care services to those in need. Our employees, physicians, and vendors will be given the same respect, concern and caring attitude that they are expected to share with our customers.
1818 Albion StreetNashville, TN