2023-2024 - Elementary Special Education Teacher
- Medical , Retirement
Special Education Teacher Job Description
Nashville Classical East opened in July 2013 with one grade, Kindergarten. Since then, the school has grown to enroll 550 scholars in Grades K-8 and become the city’s most popular elementary school, enrolling families from 26 unique Zip Codes.
In the past five years, our school has been
- Named the city’s best nonprofit by the Nashville Business Journal
- Named a Tennessee Reward School by the TN Department of Education
- Achieved top 5% growth in the state in both Math and ELA
- Awarded 3 Blue Ribbon Awards for Teaching Excellence: Most in the city!
- Profiled in The Tennessean, Newsweek, and in Doug Lemov’s recent books, Teach Like A Champion 3.0 and Reconnect.
Nashville Classical East seeks Special Education teachers to join our Scholar Supports Team who are committed to working hard, having fun, and making history. Our team educates a diverse community through a joyful, rigorous curriculum and within a structured, intentional culture, building a foundation of knowledge and habits for high school, college, and life.
- Internalize and execute common curricula, including unit plans, lesson plans, and materials.
- Build achievement-oriented culture during key moments: morning motivation, lunch, recess, and closing circle.
- Implement school-wide systems for scholar culture.
- Communicate regularly with families and attend quarterly events in the evenings, such as Report Card Conferences, Cultural Heritage Nights, etc.
- Engage in ongoing professional development, including once weekly until 4:30pm.
- Commit to teaching a daily schedule from 7:17am - 3:37pm.
- Commit to attending 3 weeks of summer professional development starting July 17th, 2023.
- Do whatever it takes to achieve the mission of Nashville Classical.
Additionally, our Special Education teachers:
- Support scholars with exceptional needs in grades Kinder-8th across the school.
- Provide instruction across subjects via small group “pull out” lessons and “push in” support to specific scholars.
- Collaborate with and support general education teachers on curriculum, instructional strategies, assessments and Individual Education Plans compliance.
- Collaborate with other Special Education/EL staff on curriculum, instructional strategies, assessments and Individual Education Plans.
- Provide behavior and social emotional support to scholars through interventions.
- Monitor, compile, analyze and report scholar data through meetings, reports and other required compliance.
- Communicate progress to families and engage families through formal meetings and informal phone calls, home visits, bus rides, and notes.
The ideal candidate possesses:
- Valid Tennessee teaching license with the appropriate Special Education or Interventionist endorsement, or a clear pathway toward Tennessee state certification
- Bachelor’s degree
- Experience with a Special Education caseload
- Full-time teaching experience in a school setting
- Experience and demonstrated success teaching in a high-performing school, serving a culturally and socioeconomically diverse school community is highly preferred
Nashville Classical pays 5% above our local school district and offers employees a 5% raise each year. For teachers, base 23-24 salaries range from $55,670 - $89,877. Teachers can select from three generous medical plans and are eligible for full state retirement benefits. Please see our 23-24 Teacher Salary Scale and Benefits Summary for more details. This position will follow a 10-month schedule.
We also offer yearly stipends for teacher-leader roles, extracurricular clubs, coaching and additional roles. We offer all employees a Macbook computer, all necessary classroom supplies, and a $500 discretionary budget for classroom purchases.
As an equal opportunity employer, we hire without consideration to race, religion, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, or disability.
Powered by JazzHR
Nashville Classical Charter SchoolsNashville, TN
Explore similar jobsMore Jobs Like This
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.