Animal Care Professional - Swing
- Vision , Medical , Dental , Paid Time Off , Life Insurance , Retirement
- Perform daily animal care professional duties including but not limited to the following:
- Perform animal husbandry and care of assigned animals to maximize animal wellbeing.
- Observe animal behavior to monitor health and welfare.
- Participate in animal training for specific behaviors needed for husbandry, management, and veterinary procedures.
- Participate in providing animal enrichment, including generating and implementing new ideas through the appropriate approval process.
- Perform animal handling and restraint as needed.
- The ability to work outdoors in weather conditions typical of South Florida climate.
- Assist in the mentorship and training of Zoo staff, interns, and volunteers.
- Respond to and assist in the resolution of Zoo emergencies.
- Observe safety policies throughout the Zoo as they pertain to the use of equipment, materials, chemicals, and vehicles.
- Engage with guests in a welcoming, courteous manner and address the public during keeper talks, shows, or other animal encounters.
- Assist with special events and requests from marketing and development as needed.
- Adhere to regulatory standards (USDA, FWC, AZA) and recognize and report concerns to the appropriate supervisor.
- Provide support for education and conservation programming as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Knowledge of animal husbandry, animal welfare, and operant conditioning
- Ability to safely use standard food prep equipment including knives, blenders, digital and non-digital scales, etc.
- Ability to or willingness to learn how to ride a bicycle.
- Ability to drive a vehicle and operate small machinery.
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively via speaking and writing.
- Ability to work independently or with a team.
- Ability to work flexible hours including weekdays, holidays, and special events.
- Ability to learn Species 360/ZIMS data entry skills.
- Possession of strong organizational skills
- Possession of strong interpersonal skills
- Associate or bachelor’s degree in an animal-related field is preferred; equivalent life experience may be substituted.
- Experience in an AZA zoological facility is preferred.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 70 pounds, stand for long periods of time, and ride Zoo bicycles. The employee is frequently required to use hands and fingers to handle, reach, feel and manipulate objects, tools, or controls. The employee is frequently required to sit, walk distances, climb, balance, stoop, bend, kneel, and crouch.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear.
Employee Eligible Benefits & Employment Benefits
Medical, Dental & Vision Health Coverage
Employee Sponsored Life Insurance policy of $25,000
Short-term Disability Options
403B Retirement and Investment Opportunities
Accrued Paid Time Off
Tuition Reimbursement Program of up to $2,500 per calendar year
Holiday Premium Pay
Unlimited Employee Referral Bonuses
Complimentary Zoo Admission for employees and/or their families after 90 days of employment
Complimentary and discounted admissions to 100+ Florida theme parks for employee and/or their families
30% Employee Discount at Naples Zoo Gift Shop & zoo cafes
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Naples Zoo is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive company culture, and our team does not discriminate against candidates and employees because of their disability, sex, race, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, veteran status, or any other protected status under the law.
Naples Zoo IncNaples, FL
How can the hiring manager reach you?
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.