We have an exciting opportunity to join our team as a Lead Clinical Laboratory Techg.
In this role, the successful candidate is responsible for performing highly technical clinical laboratory tests on specimens for diagnostic purposes. Performs special studies and assists in the development of new procedures. Responsible for training the staff on new instrumentation as well as in the use of new procedures or methods. Responsible for all staff in-service functions. Assists with supervision of the technical staff
- Clinical Testing Performs laboratory tests and procedures, which require technical skill and an exercise of independent judgement with minimal supervision, and documents results to ensure compliance with Medical Center and regulatory requirements. Applies sound technical judgment in evaluating problems and developing prompt, reasonable, workable alternatives, which benefit the patient within established guidelines of the department.
- Is able to handle varying workloads while maintaining accuracy. Follows approved policies and procedures in performing specific methodologies and instrument operations. Follows approved policies for proper recording (accuracy and legibility) and reporting of all results. Calls Critical Values to Nursing unit immediately upon their completion and records the name of person to whom the results were given as well as the time of the call. Demonstrates above average knowledge or expertise in dealing with scientific principles involved in the methodology performed; as well as alternative methodologies and their application to a given situation.
- Brings unresolved problems to the attention of a supervisor/assistant supervisor(s) and is prepared to report on the results of initial problem investigation and discuss possible causes and solutions by presenting factual and objective data. Performs special tasks and assignments as designated by supervisor.
- Quality Control Performs additional procedures as required to ensure the quality of the laboratory testing performed; and documents this activity. Performs and records periodic quality control analysis, instrument function checks and preventive maintenance procedures following approved policy. Correlates final patient result with known facts concerning the patients history (previous results) to determine goodness of fit and recognizes illogical results.
- Follows approved guidelines in approaches to problem solving and devises appropriate courses of action when patient results, control values and instrument function parameters are inconsistent or invalid: including investigation of possible sources of variance/interference, by taking appropriate action and/or performing additional testing as necessary to assure the accuracy of the reported patient value. Maintains sufficient working supplies in order to assure the continued integrity of workstation operations. Maintains up-to-date pending logs to ensure that all specimens have been processed accordingly.
- Provides Supervisory Assistance Assists with the supervision of the technical staff and provides support to the supervisor. Ensures supervisor is aware of work situations and employee performance on an on-going basis. Provides continuing guidance and technical assistance to employees with work activities and procedures and troubleshooting. Ensures that the staff adheres to all laboratory policies during the performance of their duties. Ensures that the proper QC is performed, within acceptable limits and filed. Maintains adequate coverage during shift by scheduling breaks and lunch periods. Acts as the liaison between the laboratory and both the CPA and Hospital Staff.
- Training Trains new and current employees. Assists in teaching new employees established procedures and completes orientation/training checklist. Orients current employees to new/modified procedures and completes checklist.
To qualify you must have a Bachelor's Degree in Clinical Laboratory Technology from a program registered by the NYS Department of Education or Bachelor's Degree in the major of biology, chemistry or physical sciences from an accredited college or university. License as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist by the State of New York based on the on the Special Provision of the Regulations of the Commissioner in accordance with the Clinical Laboratory Technology Practice Act. Minimum of four years of experience in a clinical laboratory required. Effective oral, written, communication and interpersonal skills required.
Required Licenses: Clinical Lab Technologist-NYS
Good computer skills, flexibility and multitasking abilities are preferred. ASCP registry also preferred
Qualified candidates must be able to effectively communicate with all levels of the organization.
NYU Langone Health provides its staff with far more than just a place to work. Rather, we are an institution you can be proud of, an institution where you'll feel good about devoting your time and your talents.
NYU Langone Health is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sex, sexual orientation, transgender status, gender dysphoria, national origin, age, religion, disability, military and veteran status, marital or parental status, citizenship status, genetic information or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. We require applications to be completed online.
If you wish to view NYU Langone Health's EEO policies, please click here . Please click here to view the Federal "EEO is the law" poster or visit https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/ofccpost.htm for more information. To view the Pay Transparency Notice, please click here .