Payroll Specialist – Construction Industry
A leading commercial general contractor is looking for a Payroll Specialist to support the Payroll Manager and provide internal customer service to all employees regarding pay, benefits, taxes, etc. This company is highly regarded for their innovative and collaborative culture. This role is an opportunity to be an integral part of the organization, answering internal employee questions in addition to developing financial reports and tracking time and attendance.
Payroll Specialist Responsibilities:
- Perform daily payroll department operations.
- Manage workflow to ensure that payroll transactions are processed accurately and timely.
- Reconcile payroll prior to transmission and validate confirmed reports.
- Understand proper taxation of employer paid benefits.
- Process correct garnishment calculations and compliance.
- Execute Time & Attendance processing and interface with payroll.
- Develop ad hoc financial and operational reporting, as needed.
- Process manual check and relocation metrics.
- Updated and reconcile monthly bank statements.
- Process employee verification of employment request.
- Distributes checks on site employees.
- Assist employees in registering for or resetting access to online pay stubs.
- Process certified payroll reports.
- Provide customer service to employees: in the area of pay, benefits and taxes as they relate to their pay, how to enter time or time off, where to locate forms and information on the company’s intranet, where to send completed forms, who to contact for benefit questions and how to obtain IRS instructions on withholding issues.
Payroll Specialist Qualifications:
- BS, BA, or related years of experience.
- At least 3 years of Payroll/Accounting experience.
- Construction experience preferred.
- Sage experience a plus.
- Knowledge of state and union overtime rules.
- Must be able to work under tight deadlines.
- Should be able to deal with difficult, sensitive and confidential issues.
- Must have good customer services and overall understanding of accounting, exposure to management reporting systems.
- Excellent organization skills, time management and prioritization abilities.
- Strong knowledge of federal and state regulations.
- Strong decision-making, problem-solving, and analytical skills.