The primary responsibility of the Microbiology Technical Specialist is to maximize the technical operations of the microbiology section. This individual develops, organizes, and maintains the section in areas of instrumentation, test procedures, work flow, employee competency, and employees training. This positions serves as the technical specialist in Microbiology; and performs related duties as required.
Full Time Monday-Friday, requires a flexible schedule. This individual will need to have visibility with all employees, clients, and leadership.
Essential Job Duties
- Oversees the technical aspects of the Microbiology Laboratory. Considered the technical expert in Microbiology.
- Establishes and monitors the standard of accuracy and precision in the performance of assays and /or operation of equipment.
- Develops and maintains procedure manuals, protocol updates, ordering supplies, orientation of new staff, and assignment of CAP surveys.
- Leads and maintains Microbiology quality control and quality management.
- Develops and maintains equipment maintenance, processing of laboratory specimens, review of results, and releasing of results.
- Communicates with other related departments to coordinate work and resolve issues as needed.
- Coordinates with internal personnel, vendors and others as needed to resolve issues and maintain ongoing functionality. Communicates procedural changes to supervisory staff and leadership.
- Responsible for maintaining the department as describe by CLIA and CAP.
- Participates in various related committees and project teams as needed.
- Prepares reports, presentations and other information summarizing work activities. Prepares various analyses as needed to highlight issues and resolve questions to the Clinical Pathology Laboratory Manager.
- Assists in managing Microbiology laboratory health and safety activities. Assist in administers safety program, reports injuries and accidents and ensure ongoing Employee health and safety.
- Leads/participates in process improvement activities to enhance laboratory operations, coordinating with related departments as needed.
- Maintains knowledge of changes and developments in the industry affecting work activities. May participate in outside industry groups and forums related to business activities.
- Assist with bench tech duties as needed.
- Ensures quality of testing under the guidelines of Quality Assurance.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience:
Successful candidates for the Microbiology Technical Specialist will have an Associate (MLT) or Bachelor’s (MT) degree in Medical Technology or related course of study.
Additional requirements of the Clinical Pathology Laboratory Manager role include:
- 3 years of experience in clinical laboratory leadership/supervisory
- Effective leadership skills, with the ability to motivate employees to meet and/or exceed performance expectations, and recognize star performers
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Experience in Microbiology and Molecular testing.
- Board Certified Medical Technologist (ASCP, AAB)
- We share a collaborative obligation to ensure that we conduct ourselves in the utmost ethical manner and that we hold each other accountable to the values and standards of the organization. Every employee has the responsibility to ask questions, seek guidance, and report concerns and/or violations of company policy or ethical standards.
- The organization has several processes in place to communicate with leadership and expects that employees will have a commitment to integrity and uncompromising values.
Manual/wrist/finger dexterity required for word processing, filing, etc.; ability to sit for long periods; ability to move about the office, kneel, stoop and bend to retrieve various files and records; near vision for reading various forms, charts or records; ability to accurately hear and communicate in-person and over the telephone; ability to lift, push and maneuver up to 20 pounds, ability to operate a vehicle.