Northwest Pathology is looking for a 2nd shift Laboratory Assistant – Accessioning/Grossing in our Bellingham office
The laboratory assistant position functions within the Accessioning and Grossing department. This is a support position and duties vary from day to day based on the needs of the laboratory. The position is primarily responsible for order entry of histology specimen.
Essential Job Duties
- Performs order entry of cytology and histology specimens into LIS (or other corollary databases).
- Accurately labels, print cassettes, and prepares specimens for grossing.
- Assists Pathologists and the Pathologist Assistant on frozen section procedures.
- Performs equipment service and maintenance.
- Mixing laboratory reagents.
- Matches cases and distributes them appropriately.
- Maintains cleanliness of frozen section equipment.
- Prepares specimens for delivery to reference labs.
- Complies with established departmental policies, procedures, objectives, quality assurance, safety and infection control procedures.
- Maintains the department in a professional manner, including cleaning and restocking supplies.
- Disposal of surgical specimens and management of formalin recycling.
- Performs equipment maintenance as needed.
- Performs courier duties as needed.
- Performs other duties as assigned and may also assist others to complete tasks and work assignments
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Basic knowledge of medical terminology.
- Must be able to work well with others.
- Ability to function in a demanding and fast-pace working environment.
- Positive, customer-oriented attitude.
- Integrity, dependability, detailed and task-focused.
- Ability to multitask.
- Ability to recognize and accurately read a series of numbers.
- Dependable and punctual attendance.
- Flexibility to meet the demands of the daily workload.
- Strong and positive customer service.
- Ability to work independently.
Education and Experience:
- High School Graduate or equivalent.
- Insurability and valid Washington State Driver's License.
- One Year working in a laboratory or healthcare environment desirable.
- Typing and computer experience.
- An earned associate degree in a laboratory science or medical laboratory technology, obtained from an accredited institution, OR
- Education/training equivalent to the above that includes at least 60 semester hours or equivalent from an accredited institution. This education must include 24 semester hours of medical laboratory technology courses, OR 24 semester hours of science courses that includes 6 semester hours of chemistry, 6 semester hours of biology, and 12 semester hours of chemistry, biology or medical laboratory technology in any combination.
- We share a collaborative obligation to ensure that we conduct ourselves in the utmost ethical manner and that we hold each other accountable to the values and standards of the organization. Every employee has the responsibility to ask questions, seek guidance, and report concerns and/or violations of company policy or ethical standards.
- The organization has several processes in place to communicate with leadership and expects that employees will have a commitment to integrity and uncompromising values.
- Will be exposed to chemicals which require the use of personal protection equipment and adherence to universal precautions.
- Excellent vision - for accuracy of specimen processing
- Aptitude to be exacting in repetitive tasks
- Ability to hear and respond to alarms and buzzers
- Capability of lifting 25-pound boxes of supplie
Salary / Pay – DOE
Days and hours of employment – 2nd Shift M-F – 2:00pm-10:30pm
Travel Required – No
Pay Period – Bi-weekly
Employment Status – Full-time – Non-exempt