NRG is the leading integrated power company in the U.S., built on the strength of our diverse competitive electric generation portfolio and leading retail electricity platform. A Fortune 500 company, NRG creates value through best-in-class operations, reliable and efficient electric generation, and a retail platform serving residential and commercial businesses. Working with electricity customers large and small, we implement sustainable solutions for producing and managing energy, developing smarter energy choices and delivering exceptional service as our retail electricity providers serve almost three million residential and commercial customers throughout the country.
More information is available at www.nrg.com. Connect with NRG Energy on Facebook and follow us on Twitter @nrgenergy.
- Responsible for tracking plant performance parameters; coordinating appropriate testing to determine root cause of problems; providing system or equipment performance testing; project management; and, recommending appropriate and cost effective solutions to correct problems and/or improve efficiency.
- Performs calculations in appropriate engineering discipline.
- Performs field inspections and takes field measurements.
- Ensures company resources are used in a cost effective manner.
- Supports and emphasizes the importance of safety and environmental programs and ensures regulatory compliance.
- Participates and/or leads teams that focus on specific problem areas or needs for generating units; may be required to direct the work activities of others.
- Prepares equipment and system procurement specifications.
- Performs technical/economic evaluations on system and equipment proposals and coordinates evaluations with Procurement.
- Prepares construction, installation, maintenance and repair specifications.
- Performs project management from conception to completion.
- Supports operations and maintenance with problem solving, information requests, change analysis, root cause investigations, equipment performance, failure analysis, preventive and predictive maintenance.
- Support projects with engineering expertise for specification, design and construction of projects in accordance with plant requirements, QA/QC, quality plans and regulatory codes.
- Ensures designs are safe and comply with applicable codes and standards.
- Prepares operating instructions as required.
- Uses AutoCAD, Solid Works, and Sketch up as required.
- Reviews engineering design standards, guidelines, and procedures.
- Prepares/maintains drawings, manuals and other documentation.
- Provide technical direction and supervision for NRG crews and contractors performing site maintenance and construction work.
- Normal office environment and/or out of doors work environment including working at heights, high/low ambient temperatures and high humidity areas.
- Requires standing, sitting, walking, kneeling, twisting, climbing stairs and ladders, and entering plant equipment to access, inspect or collect data on plant equipment.
- Work overtime and non-standard hours as required.
- Requires occasional travel.
- Requires wearing personal protective safety equipment (respirators, safety glasses, hard hat, appropriate footwear, ear plugs, etc.).
- May be required to work around rotating and energized equipment, hazardous materials and chemicals and hot equipment/environments.
- Requires operation of a personal computer.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited college or university.
- Minimum of 5 – 10 years’ experience in power plant engineering or industrial facility.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle. Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Basic knowledge of power plant systems and operation consistent with level of responsibility.
- Detailed knowledge of power plant systems and equipment in appropriate engineering discipline.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to understand and interpret drawings and specifications.
- Knowledge of and ability to apply applicable industry and company standards and codes
- Ability to use PC and associated software applications (MS Office) to collect and analyze data and produce spreadsheets, databases, and reports.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical concepts (verbal and written).
- Ability to support and maintain schedule on several concurrent assignments
- Ability to read, create and follow written policies and procedures.
- Ability to read, write and understand English.
- Ability to perform economic analyses.
- Demonstrated analytical, problem-solving skills.
- Ability to use AutoCAD, Solid Works, Sketch up and other applications.
- Knowledge of applicable safety and environmental regulations.
- Committed to making the workplace safe and environmentally sound.
- Willing to accept accountability for own decisions, performance, and behavior.
- Occasionally requires lifting as appropriate to perform duties and responsibilities.
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability
EEO is the Law Poster (The poster can be found at http://www.eeoc.gov/employers/upload/poster_screen_reader_optimized.pdf)
Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the applicant's experience or skills.
Official description on file with Human Resources