AboutNOV and Rig Technologies
NationalOilwell Varco (NOV) is a leading provider of technology, equipment, andservices to the global oil and gas industry that supports customers full-fielddrilling, completion, and production needs. Since 1862, NOV has pioneeredinnovations that improve the cost-effectiveness, efficiency, safety, andenvironmental impact of oil and gas operations.
NOV RigTechnologies makes and supports the worlds most advanced drilling solutions. Witha long history of manufacturing advanced drilling equipment packagesthink topdrives, iron roughnecks, drawworks, BOPs, and risersas well as complete landrigs, we're constantly working to solve our customers operational challenges.We're designing new technology and robotics that deliver increased automation;expanding our training offerings to help our partners close the industry'sgenerational gap; and developing smarter, more advanced drilling solutions forall types of land and offshore environments.
We'recontinually pushing our own standards higher to deliver the safest, mostefficient, and most reliable drilling solutions in the world. Join us as wecontinue to power the industry that powers the world.
The National Oilwell Varco (NOV) RigTechnologies division is currently recruiting for an Electrical Engineerfor BOP Controls within the Pressure Control Group (PCG) locatedat 6390 N Eldridge Pkwy, Houston, TX 77041.
The NOV PCG BOP Controls Group isresponsible for engineering BOP control systems for both topside and subseaapplications consisting of hydraulic, pneumatic, and/or electrical controls.Typical electrical components of these systems are control stations, electricalenclosures, uninterruptable power supplies, and subsea electronics assembliesthat can be used at ocean depths of 12,000 ft. Engineering of these systemsinvolves component selection, enclosure configuration, document creation,performing various calculations, and certification to ensure customerrequirements and industry standards are met, the overall system is safe and functionsas required, and equipment service life is maximized.
Perform a variety of engineeringwork in designing, planning, and overseeing the design and development ofelectric components, equipment, systems, and machinery used in a wide varietyof products.
- Research, develop, and design electronic interface circuitry applications for control of products.
- Lead designers in the development of electrical, schematic, interconnect, cabling and assembly drawings.
- Ensure equipment scope and content is defined during initial design processes.
- Develop applications of controls, instruments, and systems for new commercial, domestic, and industrial uses.
- Direct activities to ensure that manufacturing, construction, installation, and operational testing conform to functional specifications and customer requirements.
- Coordinate design projects to assure maximum utilization of engineering expertise.
- Provide leadership in preparation, and ensure that projects are controlled with regard to scope, schedule, budget, performing appraisal, etc.
- Establish design criteria for projects using required codes and standards.
- Review contractual content to ensure technical and regulatory compliance.
- Ensure subsequent design changes are documented and transmitted as required to internal and external resources.
- Perform other work related tasks as assigned.
- Comply with all NOV Company and HSE policies and procedures.
- Assist sales group in defining engineering parameters for quotes.
- Work with customers (internal/external) and review project defining documents to understand project requirements.
- Engineer components/assemblies for BOP control systems in accordance with customer expectations, codes, and standards.
- Create engineering documentation and/or work with designers/drafters to create engineering documentation.
- Participate in design reviews.
- Provide manufacturing with technical assistance.
- Provide technical support during testing.
- Review and approve engineering documentation provided by external groups.
Education& Experience Qualifications
- Preferred BS in Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- Preferred 5 years of experience designing control systems
- Ability to work through technical hurdles in a constructive manner.
- Lifelong learner with the desire to share knowledge with others.
- Ability to work as part of a team.
- Positive, motivated, and hardworking individual with a desire to succeed.
- Knowledge of hazardous area standards is a plus
- Knowledge of ABS, DNVGL, and API standards is a plud
- Experience with Rockwell AADvance, ControlLogix, CompactLogix, and/or GE Fanuc hardware is a plus.