- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Position: Housing Counselor
Program: Pre-purchase/Foreclosure Prevention
Reports to: Homeownership Counseling Manager
Basic Job Function
The Housing Counselor is responsible for providing professional counseling in the area of Pre-purchase and Foreclosure Prevention. Following the HUD guidelines to provide education, information and guidance in order for the client to make an informed selection of the options available to them is essential to this position. Interacts with lenders/servicers and advocates for homebuyers in an effort to obtain the best mortgage products available to preserve homeownership for existing homeowners at risk of foreclosure.
Home Buyer Education:
- Conducts the home buyer education classes using the approved HUD/CHFA curriculum.
- Manages the class registrations.
- Coordinates with guest speakers and locations .
- Conducts eHome online home buyer education follow up phone consultations.
Assume and manage a caseload of clients whose situations require intervention or negotiation with a mortgage lender. In such cases, negotiate appropriately with lender for loss mitigation, short sale, etc. Will continue to work with client as needed until case is resolved in the best possible way for the client. Will keep case open until client has reached a workout with the lender and beyond, providing consistent quarterly follow up with client to make sure client is still on track.
Maintain required job skills and core competencies. Attend and participate in required educational programs and staff meetings.
Provide clients with information on all aspects of the home buying process and requirements.
Runs credit report and reviews report with client. If credit repair is needed will advise client of such and arrange for the client to come in for that service on a later date. If credit does not need repair makes sure client moves on to the next step of the home buying process.
Prepares a thorough current budget, provides a pre-qualification for a loan amount based on the clients monthly gross income, and works on a futuristic budget with the client using the mortgage payment that the client qualifies for as well as other expenses that the client will have once he/she is a homeowner.
Available to client throughout the buying process to address any problems or answer any questions that may arise during this time.
Available to client until purchase is completed and post purchase for a minimum of one year.
Provide basic information of programs offered by the agency and information on how to have access to these services at various types of events and at arranged visits with partner organizations.
Other Duties as Assigned
These may vary and will be assigned, as needed by the Homeownership Counseling Manager
Accurate and timely response to customer inquiries.
Demonstrates ability to function independently and make independent and sound judgments
Minimum of two to four years of experience in related field. An equivalent combination of training and experience may be considered.
Special Knowledge and Skills
1. Experience in housing counseling, foreclosure prevention, homebuyer education, underwriting, lending or real estate coupled with experience in mortgage banking preferably in processing, originations, and loss mitigation.
2. Proficiency in MS Office Suite software, with strong Microsoft Excel or Access skills and ability to extract and, run reports from databases for CounselorMax and HOPE LoanPortal software programs.
3. Ability to prioritize and coordinate multiple work activities in a fast-paced team environment and meet critical deadlines.
4. Must have the knowledge and ability to conduct one on one counseling to clients who have defaulted, or will default, on their mortgage payment.
5. Must possess a working knowledge on the subject of predatory lending and be able to counsel clients to avoid such loans.
6. Excellent filing, record keeping, and organizational skills demonstrated across a range of administrative processes and procedures.
7. Ability to support the production and distribution of complex grant and financial monitoring reports.
8. Must possess strong communication skills and ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing.
9. Must demonstrate an ability to analyze and translate mortgage documents, including profit and loss statements, HUD documents and tax information to determine optimal outcomes for borrowers.
10. Bilingual (Spanish/English) preferred
11. Must be dependable, dedicated and flexible in regard to working some evenings and/or weekend hours.
12. Counseling Certification with Neighborworks is preferred.
NEWSED Community Development CorporationWhy Work Here?
NEWSED offers professional salaries, a full range of benefits, a great work environment and opportunities for advancement.
NEWSED mission is to promote the economic success of underserved populations in the seven-county Denver metro area through community development with a focus on affordable housing, small businesses and asset creation. NEWSED is a nonprofit Community Development Corporation (CDC) that has served the Denver Community since 1973. NEWSED’s primary focus has been to solve long-term economic problems in disadvantaged communities by securing and coordinating resources for neighborhood revitalization and self sufficiency.
1001 Santa Fe DriveDenver, CO
Real EstateView all jobs at NEWSED Community Development Corporation