Job Title Engineering Technician - Cryogenics Operator
Auto req ID 17575BR
Full / Part Time Full-Time
Employment Type Regular
Country United States
Job Introduction Akima Infrastructure Services, LLC (AIS), is actively seeking individuals who can contribute to national security within the science, technology, and engineering fields as part of our supplemental labor team at vital federal research and development installations supporting the Department of Energy. AIS has an established history of contributing to the success of their customers mission. Available employment opportunities may range from administrative and logistical support to advanced technical positions.
Qualified applicants must be a US citizen, at least 18 years of age, and able to meet pre-employment requirements including any required physicals, drug screen, and/or background investigation to satisfy clearance requirements from the Department of Energy.
Successful candidates will be employees of AIS, a premier government contractor charged with employing highly-motivated and well-qualified personnel who can advance the missions of the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory in Livermore, CA. Though employed by AIS, the employee will take day-to-day direction from technical personnel employed directly by the research laboratories. Pay, benefits, Human Resource, and Employment Management functions are provided by AIS.
This position is supporting the National Ignition Facility (NIF) which is the world's largest and most energetic laser facility ever built. NIF is also the most precise and reproducible laser as well as the largest optical instrument. The giant laser has nearly 40,000 optics, which precisely guide, reflect, amplify, and focus 192 laser beams onto a fusion target about the size of a pencil eraser.
The National Ignition Facility is seeking a talented and self -motivated Engineering Technician to perform cryogenic operation duties to provide advanced maintenance and operational support to the cryogenics, vacuum, x-ray and pressurized gas systems that support the critical operations of the world's largest laser system. The primary responsibilities include operating, maintaining and perform fault analysis on cryogenic and gas filled systems using remote control complex computer based equipment. The successful candidate will also record data, identify process improvements, may have to work with hazardous materials in a radioactive environment, and actively participate in work safety meetings. The Engineering Technician will also have the communication skills to effectively interact with project leaders, technicians, designer and engineers and will report to the NIF Operations Supervisor.
Due to the vast and varying types of experiments, NIF is a 24/7 operational facility. This position may require the successful candidate to have the flexibility to work overtime, shift and or weekends to accomplish goals. This position may also require working alternate schedules such as 4/10's or 12 hour shifts. The successful candidate will be required to pass various on-site training modules to pursue work assignments.
- Perform operation, troubleshooting and maintenance, on cryogenic, vacuum, x-ray, and pressurized gas systems.
- Operate various systems and equipment remotely using computer control systems
- Record data and present to project leaders for analysis
- Follow and adhere to written, operational and safety procedures in the course of completing job assignments
- Perform all assignments in accordance with ESH&Q, Security and business practice requirements and policies
- May occasionally work in Beryllium contaminated areas
- May work in areas where respirator use may be required
- May work with hazardous materials in a radioactive environment
- Evaluations of equipment may involve working in confined or restricted movement areas, climbing ladders, ability to climb stairs, stand or walk for periods of time
- A.A. in Mechanical or Electrical Technologies or a combination of 4+ years of education and experience or previous military experience working on cryogenic/vacuum systems
- Working knowledge of various mechanical maintenance practices including plumbing, hardware and electrical as it relates to vacuum system operation and maintenance
- Ability to learn technical background using computer control and data acquisition systems or similar large system
- Experience working in a team environment in a technical environment
- Ability to adapt to system changes, upgrades and processes to complete experiments
- Must be able to use a respirator, work in confined spaces, lift and push 50 pounds, use portable ladders with a max 300 pound weight limit, and work from various heights
- Must have the communication skills necessary to convey highly detailed procedures and verbally discuss technical information with personnel
- Completion of the US Navy Nuclear Power School
- Experience with operation and maintenance of vacuum systems
- Experience using complex computer control and data acquisition systems utilized in the remote control of opto-mechanical devices
- Experience working within a nuclear, military, or highly technical laboratory environment
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-employment drug test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: Q (position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing.
We wish to thank all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.
We are an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will receive consideration for employment, without regard to race, color, religion, creed, national origin, gender or gender-identity, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, pregnancy or parental status, or any other basis prohibited by law.
We are committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and providing reasonable accommodations to applicants with physical and/or mental disabilities. If you have a physical and/or mental disability and are interested in applying for employment and need special accommodations to use our website to apply for a position please contact, Recruiting Services, email@example.com at mailto:firstname.lastname@example.org or 925-960-0353
Reasonable accommodation requests are considered on a case-by-case basis. The dedicated email and telephonic options above are reserved only for individuals with disabilities needing accessibility assistance to apply to an open position using our website.
Please do not use the dedicated email or phone number above to inquire on the status of your job application.
In order for our company to stay compliant with government regulations, please apply on line. Please DO NOT email resumes or call in lieu of applying online unless you have a physical and/or mental disability and need assistance applying to the position via the online application.