Sr. Commercial Underwriter / E&S
Fully trained and qualified underwriting position. Responsible for underwriting new and renewal
business in terms of risk selection, and retention in accordance with underwriting guidelines & practices
and within the authority granted by management. Successful underwriters are highly motivated to help
the company make an underwriting profit and do so with a minimal amount of supervision.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Taking an entrepreneurial approach in managing assigned producer to maximize net
- underwriting profit
- Gathering of information for the purposes of determination of risk acceptability, policy terms
- and pricing
- Consulting the underwriting manager on acceptability, terms and pricing of unusual risks
- Reviewing of policies issued by producers with policy issue authority to ensure compliance with
- underwriting guidelines, pricing, and level of authority
- Providing guidance to assigned producers
- Alerting the management to unusual loss activity
- Keeping informed about state and local insurance regulations and laws.
- Making and terminating state and federal regulatory filings for specific policies requiring such filings.
- Representing the company in a courteous, friendly & professional manner
- Promote the goals established by the management
- Trains and mentors junior staff
- Be a sounding board for product changes and bringing product improvement ideas in from the field for consideration
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Insurance Courses (INS 21, 22, and/or 23, AU, CPCU series) desired
- Minimum 2 years of sound commercial auto underwriting experience
- Keyboard speed of 40 words per minute
- Knowledge of commercial auto rating rules and procedures.
- Ability to read write, and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance
- instructions, procedure manuals, routine reports, and correspondence.
- Ability to communicate effectively with all personnel, management, and vendors.
- Ability to perform simple math and Proficiency MS Word, MS Excel and Outlook.
- Ability to efficiently carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form.
- Ability to process and exercise judgement in all lines of business handled by the department.
- Valid Driver’s License with clean driving record and insured automobile.