Woodland Hills, CA USA
Benefits:401K, Dental, Life, Medical, Vision
Commercial Property / Subro / SIU / Homeowners
Claims Manager - Property will have an exciting opportunity to steer the entry of cannabis-related property insurance into market in several states. We are looking for someone who has the required knowledge of commercial property coverages, able to travel occasionally, and is skilled in training and managing new employees.
This position is responsible for direct supervision of the ongoing daily activities of Property claims, its personnel and claim files, in the effective disposition of assigned claims. The position requires independent judgment and decision making in the areas of assigned responsibility. This includes supervision of the analysis and resolution of complex coverage, litigation, liability and damages that may need the assistance of subject matter experts. Responsible for the claims process quality and production of assigned examiners.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform certain duties including the following in a satisfactory manner. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Responsible for dissemination and adherence to policies and objectives of the company and department as directed by senior management with accountability within the assigned areas of responsibility.
- Responsible for the effective adjustment of claims including conducting regular and ongoing supervisory claim file reviews, maintaining a follow-up diary system to monitor targeted files for close supervision.
- Directs general or specific activity on claim files.
- Responsible for dissemination and adherence of company guidelines as they pertain to coverage issues.
- Ensure proper performance by assigned vendors and effectively manages and monitors the vendor panel.
- Undertakes claims evaluations and extends authority within delegated authority and participates in committee reviews as the occasion arises.
- Approves authority requests in compliance with coverage, file documentation, rules, laws, regulations and authority.
- Supervises claims examiners who rely upon the assistance of subject matter experts, attorneys and company management in order to effectively manage assigned claims.
- Interacts with claims handlers in remote offices and provides guidance and assistance.
- Directs and trains claims examiners to review and interpret forensic and expert reports leading to the causation of claims, evaluations and the ultimate settlement of same.
- Performs inspections or re-inspections, as needed. Assists in audits of files handles off-site.
- Ensures effectiveness and accuracy of systems data entry, daily correspondence, checks and reserves.
- Tracks and reports examiner performance to the claims management regularly.
- Ensures acceptable unit pending file counts are managed properly and successfully.
- Ensures examiner productivity and addresses those areas needing attention.
- Ensures ongoing training of claims handling guidelines, adjusting practices and techniques, policies, rules, law, and regulations and monitors their compliance.
- Manage talent including selection, development, training engagement and evaluation of team members and their performance.
- Assists senior claims management in other areas that may be delegated.
- Adjusts and settles claims.
- Meets or exceeds company assigned objectives on a quarterly basis.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Directly supervises the CLAIMS EXAMINER(S). Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to perform this job successfully.
- High School Diploma or equivalent (G.E.D.)
- Minimum five (7) years related experience capacity with solid exposure to management of property claims.
- Experience in Commercial Property claims handling in multiple jurisdictions preferred.
- Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university preferred
- Professional designations preferred
- Keyboard speed of 45 words per minute.
- Knowledge of coverages written by the company as well as overall knowledge of the Principles of Insurance.
- Ability to effectively communicate with others verbally and in writing and listening at all levels.
- Demonstrated performance indicating sufficient level of competence to accept job responsibilities and accountability.
- Possess analytical skills and decision-making ability to effectively recognize and evaluate coverage and claim problems.
- Ability to plan, organize and establish priorities to accomplish job responsibilities.
- Physical and emotional stamina and stability to perform effectively under adverse conditions, within deadlines and with heavy workloads when necessary.
- Proficiency in company supported claim systems, MS Word, MS Excel, Outlook and other software products preferred.