Assistant Animal Keeper
Museum of Science Boston, MA
- Expired: 22 days ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Assistant Animal Keeper
Museum of Science, Boston
Innovation and creativity come from the unique perspectives of a diverse staff. We value your perspective.
The Assistant Animal Keeper is primarily concerned with providing a high-quality visitor experience through practicing and maintaining high professional standards for the husbandry, exhibition and educational use of the living collection. This position is responsible for providing daily care to a diverse collection of animals and habitats. The Assistant Animal Keeper assists in the training of volunteers assigned to the department as well as staff/volunteers wishing to use the living collection in their educational programs and activities. The Assistant Animal Keeper will develop and present the living collection in programs and interpretational activities on a regular basis.
- Provide care for a diverse collection of 150+ specimens/colonies including mammals, birds, reptiles, amphibians, fish and invertebrates.
- Assists in the cleaning and routine maintenance of support spaces, Live Animal Care Center, Insect Zoo, Garden Walk, permanent exhibits and when needed temporary exhibits.
- Assists in providing approximately 1000 animal handling and use training sessions for staff/volunteers
- Assists with monitoring 1000+ animal appearances in the Museums educational programs and activities.
- Assists with monitoring public interactions with the living collection in the Garden Walk, Insect Zoo and LACC.
- Creates and presents 2+ interactive programs or interpretations weekly.
- Ability to work in both warm (78-90 degrees F) and humid (60-70%) environments.
- This position includes weekends and holiday coverage and can vary depending on need and assigned location.
This position is part-time, 21 hours/week, with the following schedule:
Manager, Living Collections
- Post high school course work, technical degree, associates degree, business or vocational certificate.
- 6 or more months of animal care experience.
- Demonstrated ability to care for both domestic and non-domestic animals.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and organize work in an efficient manner without direct supervision.
- Experience working with the public in a busy setting.
Non-Exempt (Hourly). $15.60/hour
Benefits for non-exempt (hourly) staff include: free parking, T accessibility, up to a total of 48 hours of paid vacation time, accrued, paid sick time, 16 hours of paid, holiday time, medical and vision insurance, retirement and savings plan, health care/dependent care flex spending plan, employee discounts, employee referral program, direct deposit, free admission, free Duck Tours, discounted movie passes, and much more!
The Museum of Science is fully committed to Equal Employment Opportunity and to attracting, retaining, developing and promoting the most qualified employees without regard to their race, gender, color, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, citizenship status, veteran status, or any other characteristic prohibited by federal, state or local law. We are dedicated to providing a work environment free from discrimination and harassment, and where employees are treated with respect and dignity.
No phone inquiries, please. Qualified applicants will be contacted within two to four weeks of initial application.
Job Posted by ApplicantPro
Museum of Science
TourismView all jobs at Museum of Science