Leader, Product Development
- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Build your Career with an Industry Leader
Multi-Color Corporation and Fort Dearborn have merged and are now the world’s largest prime label and packaging supplier. Join the new MCC and you will have the opportunity to become part of an organization that is committed to excellence and industry leadership for over 110 years.
Manage product development projects while serving as the critical link between MCC sales and customer in the R&D/manufacturing effort. Interface with internal and external industry SMEs developing label technologies, clarifying specifications, resolving challenges, delivering innovative label solutions while ensuring MCC continues to be the preferred choice for customer-specific projects. Manages the full lifecycle of assigned new product development from customer need, trial plan, testing phase through product launch. Serves as the lead technical resource for product performance resolution.
- Responsible for leading product development projects focused on the implementation of innovative, sustainable, and smart label packaging solutions.
- Champion new ideas for innovative packaging solutions, develop the technology and qualify/implement with Customers.
- Lead development with ink, coating, adhesive and substrate suppliers to achieve development of innovative and sustainable label solutions.
- Design trials and follow through the entire print/converting process, collaborate with Operations and Quality to define process procedures and label performance testing required. Summarize trial results and coordinate next steps internally and externally.
- Lead the development of pressure sensitive labels on behalf of our Customers; focusing on substrate, ink, coating, and embellishments.
- Develop and qualify sustainable pressure sensitive label solutions on various types of containers: HDPE, PET, PP, Glass, and Aluminum.
- Interface with wide range of ink, adhesive, material and container vendors as well as regulatory industry SMEs, to satisfy specific project requirements and to establish MCC as a partner in market introductions, assessing new market trends while ensuring MCC is using the most performance and cost-effective materials. Keep abreast of and investigate changing industry technology that may enhance quality, production, and efficiency of products.
- Manage and prioritize multiple projects and coordinate the resources to ensure high priority print and product issues are resolved within reasonable/customer-acceptable time frame.
- Serve as internal and external technical resource in troubleshooting elevated print issues to include ink, adhesive, and substrate materials, manufacturing, and quality processes, as well as determining root causes of observed problems; recommend and implement solutions.
- Provide direction and written documentation to sales and customer regarding recommended products to meet end-user performance needs.
- Initiate and direct material testing on all major projects using statistically valid experimentation to verify results and decisions.
- Develop/publish entire product cycle from generation of idea to trial plan including feasibility, commercialization, testing, benchmarks, and product launch.
- Communicate, coordinate and collaborate with all affected internal and external departments (customer service, pre-press, sales, R&D and production) as needed in technical issue resolution and best-practice manufacturing methods to include developing and documenting specifications and/or requirements for a given products.
- Provide regular project status updates to the R&D leaders and group.
- Travel to vendors and customers to clarify data in resolution of R&D and manufacturing problems
- Assist as needed in the training of new internal personnel with client interface to familiarize with product line
- Minimum B.S. Degree required. Area of study requiring use of scientific methods highly desirable, i.e. science/engineering, or technical major.
- Industry background and/or strong understanding of inks, adhesives, coatings, solvent lamination, gravure and flexography printing, UV curable coatings, converting, die-cutting, film/substrates, labels/packaging and related materials required.
- In-depth technical knowledge of the machinery and technology in a custom printing environment.
- Familiar active communication with industry contacts to serve as technical resources for all phases and areas involved in product development from laboratory testing through commercialization.
- Assertive communicator with keen sense of follow-up/follow through.
- Ability to lead/manage multiple projects across a small team of technical professionals.
- Minimum five years’ customer-facing project management experience.
- Minimum three years’ experience analyzing technical manufacturing issues and implementing solutions.
- SPC* Design experience (*Method of QC which employs statistical methods to monitor and control a process. Key tools used in SPC include run charts, control charts, focus on continuous improvement and design of experiments, etc.)
- Knowledge/experience with material regulatory compliance desirable.
- College level math; basic dimensions – formula-based algebra, use of coding calculators developing cross-over programs
- Strong proficiency with MS Office Suite to include intermediate ability with Excel (pivot tables, macros, formulas, coding, developing programs using XML), Power Point for presentations
- Self-starter: possess strong sense of urgency and ability to prioritize and transition to new tasks
- Multi-task at the highest level; ability to manage competing priorities.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Ability to relay technical information to non-technical industry colleagues both internal and external to the organization
- Vigilant in the protection of MCC intellectual property.
- Ability to work overtime and flexibility with working hours
- Ability to travel domestic and international when required
- MCC offers a competitive wage and generous benefits package including medical, dental, vision, disability, life insurance and 401(k).
MCC welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process. MCC is an equal opportunity employer.
BusinessView all jobs at Multi-Color Corporation