- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
The Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation® (MHIF) is seeking a Finance Director to contribute to MHIF’s vision of creating a world without heart and vascular disease. To achieve this bold vision, we are dedicated to improving the cardiovascular health of individuals and communities through innovative research and education. Now entering our 40th year, MHIF is recognized globally as a research leader in cardiovascular medicine with cutting-edge science centers.
In support of the Minneapolis Heart Institute Foundation (MHIF) mission, this high impact position drives the implementation of strategies and goals for an integrated reporting system while leveraging technology to improve the content, timing, and efficiency of reporting, enabling decision making for internal and external audiences. With responsibilities for the organization’s financial and accounting systems, this individual reports to the CFO and helps equip the Board’s Finance and Audit Committee. Impacting MHIF’s operations, this role also oversees Research Business Services for sponsored clinical trials and works closely with leaders of each function. Collaborating with the CFO, this professional equips MHIF with the financial systems and information needed for future growth and effectiveness.
Contributes as a member of the Blueprint Team and the Leadership Team, providing strategic, tactical and organizational input. Serves as a staff liaison for the Finance and Audit Committee of the Board of Directors. As a MHIF leader, supports and enables the culture and helps to drive MHIF shared priorities.
2. Supervision and Oversight:
Manages a Finance and Accounting team of two responsible for: general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable, payroll, and cash and investment management. Also manages a Research Business Services team of three whose focus is clinical trial billing, billing compliance, and accounting. Also oversees research systems and informatics. Recruit, train, coach, develop and enable the success of talented team members.
3. Reporting and Analysis
Provides reliable, timely financial information to a variety of users, and provides consultative support in their effectively understanding and interpreting financial information. Develops, refines, and produces reports, including optimizing the Tableau Business Intelligence platform. Additionally, the Finance Director will analyze reports to support stakeholder decision making and improve execution for these areas and audiences: Board and Board Committees, Physicians, Science Centers, Investigator Initiated Research, Research Operations, Internal Budget Managers, and Ad-hoc reporting.
4. Development liaison
Coordinates interactions between the Finance and Development teams, including weekly status meetings and gift review, monthly reconciliation between finance and development, and production reporting oversight.
5. Research Business Services
Manages three people working in collaboration with the finance team whose focus is:
- Clinical Trial Billing / Billing Compliance – Fulfill Allina Office of Sponsored Programs requirements, coverage analysis, internal bill review
- Clinical Trial Accounting – Sponsor billings, receivables and study payables (services, supplies, fees, subject reimbursement), cash application, reconciliation, revenue and expense accruals for financial reporting)
- Research Systems & Informatics – Internal databases, RealTime Clinical Trial Management System, EPIC, reporting capabilities. This team will continue to develop the new, comprehensive Research Management System.
6. Year-end audit, tax returns and annual budget support
Leads the coordination of the annual audit and Form 990 informational return, working with the entire finance team. Works with CFO in preparation of annual budget and scenario analyses.
7. Month-end close participation
Leads team for month end journal entries and weekly deposit process to facilitate a timely month-end close. Position will be responsible for monthly research study revenue and expense, endowment, and investment entries.
8. Continuous improvement, special projects, other contributions
In addition to ensuring process and system improvement within their area of responsibility, this position adds value and contributes across MHIF including the potential for leading ad hoc teams to advance the overall strategy of the organization.
Reporting to the Chief Financial Officer, this leader has direct reports of a Senior Accountant and Finance/Payroll Assistant, along with a senior advisor and two Research Finance Specialists in Research Business Services. The incumbent interacts and collaborates regularly with other members of the Finance, Development, Education and Research teams as well as fosters contacts and relationships within the Minneapolis Heart Institute (MHI) and Allina as needed. This leader also works closely with members of the Board’s Finance and Audit Committee.
- Bachelor’s degree in business or accounting.
- Minimum five years of experience in accounting, including financial planning and analysis, budgeting, and financial reporting. Prefer 2+ years in public accounting, then 2+ years in finance and accounting at a nonprofit, with substantial general ledger accounting and financial reporting exposure.
- At least two years’ experience supervising finance and accounting professionals, with demonstrated skills in acquiring, developing, and retaining staff
- Experience with accounting software
- Experience with business intelligence reporting platforms and systems
- Demonstrated ability to perform and prepare budget estimates and to understand and apply financial concepts
- Strong negotiation skills
- Excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills and ability to work and communicate across the organization
- Strong problem-solving skills and experience in balancing multiple priorities.
- Ability to work with others as a team and lead project teams and advance a positive work culture.
- Flexible and adaptable
- Experience in working and contributing through a change process and building new processes
- Experience with database basics
- Experience in a leadership role such as a Controller or an Assistant Controller
- Experience and understanding of accounting and reporting for fundraising operations
- Experience with Great Plains accounting software
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) designation
Mpls Heart Found
Finance and InsuranceView all jobs at Mpls Heart Found