TITLE: Nurse Educator
SUPERVISION: Director of Quality and Compliance
POSITIONS SUPERVISED: None
PRIMARY FUNCTION: Develop and submit individual educational activities for NCNA nursing and continuing education credits. Plan and carry out educational activities for MVHPC personnel.
1. Education and/or Experience: Holds at least a Bachelors Degree in Nursing with at least three years of nursing experience in adult education utilizing multimedia resources and three years experience in hospice and end of life care.
2. Language/Computer Skills: Ability to read and comprehend and write simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to patients, families, caregivers, employees and volunteers. Must have strong communication skills. Must be proficient in Microsoft Office applications, email, and internet.
3. Math Skills: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals.
4. Reasoning Ability: Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations. Must demonstrate excellence in critical thinking and prioritizing. Ability to be flexible, well organized, handle pressure, manage a variety of tasks, and tend to detail.
5. Interpersonal and Organizational Skills: Must possess strong interpersonal skills, and ability to relate well with a variety of people. Must possess excellent organizational and planning skills. Must have a commitment to and understanding of the Hospice Concept.
6. Certificates, Licenses, Registrations: Must possess a valid Driver’s License and current auto insurance. Current license to practice nursing in North Carolina and Virginia.
1. Continuing Education Requirements: Expected to participate in appropriate continuing education to meet job requirements. In addition, expected to accept personal responsibility for other educational activities to enhance job-related skills and abilities, and to attend mandatory educational programs. Must have at least 12 hours of annual education hours.
2. Performance Improvement and Compliance Requirements: Expected to participate in the Quality Assessment Improvement Program (QAPI). Expected to comply with Federal and State regulations governing hospice programs, accreditation standards, Nurse Practice Act, Board of Pharmacy requirements, MVHPC policies and procedures and to adhere to the organization’s standards of conduct as a condition of continued employment.
1. Serves as both Administrator & Primary Nurse Planner of the Provider Unit and is responsible for ensuring that all Nurse Planners are performing in a manner consistent with policies, position descriptions, and expectations of the approved provider unit and with the ANCC criteria.
2. Facilitates Monthly Education and Provider Unit Meetings. Coordinates approval process.
3. Participates in orientation training for all newly hired Hospice employees. Serves as resource for new employees during ninety (90) day introductory period and ongoing.
4. Participates in development of annual education plan for organization.
5. Develops in-service training and teaching tools.
6. Coordinates CPR training for staff and monitors compliance.
7. Attends software training updates and provides software training to all disciplines.
8. Coordinates/participates in annual competencies/skills testing for direct care & administrative staff.
9. Participates in training events and facilitates webinars as assigned.
10. Maintains certification in Hospice and Palliative Care and serves as instructor for Review Courses.
11. Maintains record keeping for Provider Unit and Education Logs.
12. Maintains Relias Portal for website education.
13. Serves as a community speaker and provides education to contracted agencies.
14. Participates in QAPI activities as assigned. Provides Quarterly QAPI reports for Orientation and Provider Unit.
15. Performs other duties as assigned.
Nurse Educator will primarily work in the office environment. May have occasional visits to patient’s home or facility where exposure to hazardous conditions including blood, bodily fluids, chemotherapy, and communicable diseases may occur. Nurse educator will have limited exposure to hazardous cleaning solutions.
The physical demands described herein are representative of those that must be met to successfully perform the essential functions of the job.
1. Must be able to communicate effectively in written, oral, and electronic form.
2. Regularly required to stand, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, use tools and/or controls, reach with hands and arms, talk and hear.
3. Occasionally required to taste and/or smell, sit, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, bend over, crouch, and/or crawl.
4. Must be able to lift at least 50 lbs.
5. While performing the duties of this job, the employee occasionally works outside.
6. Specific vision abilities required by this job include: close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
7. Must be able to transport self to work or patient location.
REPRESENTATIVE FUNCTIONS: % of Time
Educational activities 75%