Mott Haven Middle School for Social Leadership is a public charter school in the Bronx focused on the needs of children in the child welfare system. Since our founding in 2008, our goal has been to permanently remove the barriers students face by providing comprehensive support services in academic settings. We use leading social-emotional learning curriculum to help vulnerable children - many of who are survivors of trauma, abuse, or neglect- regulate their emotions and do their best learning.
As our school is expanding in size and adding grades, we are seeking Middle School Teachers who are dedicated to progressive teaching practices and providing high quality educational opportunities to underserved communities.
Our outstanding educators are provided with unmatched opportunities for rewarding professional growth, are committed to using data to improve student results, possess exceptional professionalism, and embrace our school's belief that all students, regardless of economic status or family structure, are entitled to learn in a system that gives them the best chance for success.
We are looking for a candidate who:
Innovates with curriculum and pedagogy – We seek to support scholars in taking ownership of their learning. All staff actively participate in designing and facilitating highly engaging, rigorous learning experiences with resources and scaffolds that allow scholars to lead their own learning.
Practices social justice – Design, facilitate and participate in experiences and conversations that relate to race, gender, class and sexual identity in ways that empower scholars and foster community.
Leads through uncertainty – In order to achieve dramatically better outcomes for young people, sometimes there is no precedent for the strategies we employ. We need staff that can demonstrate leadership and try new approaches to achieve breakthrough results. All staff contribute to, and learn from, these experiences.
Benefits for Teachers:
- Competitive Salary (outpaces DOE scale)
- 401k Contribution Matching
- Medical and Dental Benefits
- Generous Leave Policy + All DOE Holidays
- Professional development, with a focus on social-emotional learning
- Family-style community meal program, including healthy breakfast and lunch for teachers
- Tuition reimbursement available to qualifying team members
- Comprehensive mental health services for students and families
- Interactive White Boards in all classrooms and chromebooks for students
- Out of classroom behavior support
- Bright, environmentally friendly building with outdoor access
- Steps from 6 train (two stops from Manhattan) and Interstate 87
- Collaborate with colleagues to develop and teach highly engaging, academically rigorous curriculum and lessons, aligned with Common Core Standards
- Inspire students to dedicate themselves fully to their education
- Analyze assessment data and use data to inform instruction
- Participate in and facilitate restorative circles as a means of fostering scholar investment in community and resolving conflict
- Engage actively in professional growth through the development of a personalized learning plan and attendance at staff orientation during the last two weeks of August
- Maintain proactive relationships with scholars and their families
- Participate in and lead elements of a summer program for new scholars during the last two weeks of August
- Other duties, as needed and assigned by school leaders
- Two or more years of teaching experience strongly preferred
- Master's Degree in Education preferred; NYS Teaching Certification preferred
- Outstanding instructional skills, including the ability to motivate and challenge students
- Unwavering conviction that all students can learn at a high level
- Spanish language proficiency a plus