A Cook is responsible for preparing all food items, based on standardized recipes, for restaurants, suite service, employee meals, and banquets, while complying with all applicable sanitation, health, and personal hygiene standards and following established food production programs and procedures to produce an appealing and appetizing product. A Cook is also responsible for appropriate use of facility supplies, and equipment to minimize loss, waste, and fraud. This position is based out of the Legacy Resort Hotel and Spa in San Diego, CA. Must maintain confidentially, and be able to work the assigned schedule.
• Cooks all items following the recipe cards, verifying that use records are followed for all items served and that food is presented in an efficient, quality manner.
• Monitors the line set up prior to all meal functions to ensure maximum efficiency during meal periods.
• Oversees the equipment maintenance and kitchen “clean as you go policy” to ensure strict adherence.
• Participates in cross-training employees and train new employees in their positions on the service line.
• Assists the Sous Chef in maintaining standard of quality and appearance on the front line.
• Demonstrates a working knowledge of all hotel safety and security procedures as required maintaining a secure and safe environment for employees as well as guests.
• Reports any unusual occurrences and/or requests to their immediate supervisor.
• Performs special projects and other responsibilities as assigned.
Our hotel’s primary goal is to provide hospitality and exceed guest expectations for levels of service, quality, consistency and attention to detail — all team members are evaluated against this standard. A hotel operates 365 days a year, 24 hours a day. During the course of your scheduled shift, you may be asked to assist in areas of the hotel outside of your typical work areas.
• High school diploma or general education diploma (GED) is required.
• Minimum one to two full years of prior experience in a related position.
• California Food Handler’s Certificate required.
• Experience in a resort hotel is preferred.
• First Aid, CPR and defibrillator certifications preferred.
• Knowledge of cooking and the practices and procedures of a kitchen in order to perform with speed and consistency.
• Commitment to quality and exceptional customer service.
• Requires the ability to work as a team member and an ability to effectively communicate with kitchen staff.
• Must be able to communicate in English; ability to speak additional languages is a plus.
• Work with minimal supervision.
HOURS OF WORK:
A flexible schedule, which include nights, weekends and holidays, is required to adjust to the changing needs of business operations.
No travel required for this position.
The purpose of this job description is to summarize the primary job functions and responsibilities of this position; it is not intended to be an all-inclusive list. Therefore, employees will be expected to perform additional duties as assigned by their supervisor or their supervisor’s designee. Duties and responsibilities may change at any time with or without advance notice.
This job operates on a large campus with multi-story buildings and uneven outdoor areas (e.g., steps, ramps, and gardens) that are open to the elements and changing weather conditions. This position requires regular interaction with staff and members of the public and routinely uses various types of restaurant/kitchen equipment, specialized tools, knives, hot water, flames, hot ovens and stovetops, moving carts, freezers and coolers, etc. In addition to standard office equipment such as computers, phones, calculators, photocopier, etc. Noise levels will occasionally be high due to equipment, movies, musical and theatrical performances, and other factors.
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL DEMANDS:
• This position requires the ability to navigate throughout a large campus with indoor and outdoor work and event spaces.
• 100% mobility required to reach all areas of the campus
Occasional (1 - 33% of the time)
Frequent (34 - 66% of the time)
Constant (67 - 100% of the time)
C = Requires standing, bending, twisting, kneeling, crouching, stooping, crawling, walking, running, repetitive movement and using hands to handle, control, or feel objects, tools or controls.
C = Requires the ability to be able to pull, push, stand, sit, stoop, bend, reach, move or carry equipment.
C = Requires close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust and focus.
C = Requires the ability to lift and/or move objects 20-35 lbs.; occasionally team lift and/or move objects that weigh more than 35 lbs.
O = Requires working outside in all types of weather conditions.
F = Subject to cuts, burns, and bruises.