- Expired: over a month ago. Applications are no longer accepted.
Mori is focused on innovations in the food, agriculture, and packaging industries. We leverage the unique properties of a natural protein discovered in silk that protects food, creates an edible barrier, and slows down spoilage. Our products can be integrated at any time from farm to shelf, allowing food producers, processors, and retailers to deliver more and better-quality food to consumers. Our mission statement “More Food, Less Waste” embodies our companies’ commitment to improving supply chain inefficiencies and reducing food and packaging waste. We abide by the following values to make our mission possible:
- Think big, start small
- Embrace complexity
- See it through
- Operate with care
- Keep perspective
As Controller at Mori, you will oversee financial operations, cashflow management and forecasting, and external reporting. You will play a key role in supporting the day-to-day activities necessary for running a fast-paced organization during an exciting growth phase. You will join an early-stage, multidisciplinary team of operations professionals, scientists, and engineers, contributing to a variety of activities in a highly collaborative environment.
This role will be best suited to someone someone accustomed to being "hands-on" at both operational and business levels with a shrewd focus on understanding and explaining the story behind the numbers. Reporting to the CFO, you will have an opportunity to shape and drive the development of the department.
As the Controller, you will have the following responsibilities, which are subject to change:
- Manage organizational cash flow, budgeting, forecasting, and reporting.
- Lead and oversee the day-to-day management of all operational accounting and functions, including general accounting, A/P, A/R, and external compliance with relevant stakeholders.
- Owning all aspects of the financial close process. This includes all associated activities to deliver accurate and timely financial reporting.
- Generate and automate financial reporting, including monthly and quarterly packages for key internal and external stakeholders.
- Ensure authority limits and overall spending is closely monitored across the business.
- Develop and improve internal controls, accounting policies + procedures, systems, and chart of account infrastructure to efficiently support business scale and activities.
- Establish and enforce proper accounting treatment for new and complex business transactions, including collaboration agreements with international partners.
- Assist with specific projects and initiatives unique to a fast-growing food technology start-up, such as system implementations and updates and business process improvements.
- Foster an environment of continuous improvement to identify, develop, and implement process and system changes to increase efficiency, ensure monthly reporting, and enhance financial controls.
- Provide Ad-Hoc Reporting and Analysis as requested by the Executive Leadership Team.
Tax and compliance:
- Oversee tax compliance including sales tax and corporate income tax; ensure filings are by regulatory requirements.
- Ensure payments are made on time and any new territories and markets are kept compliant and up to date.
- Develop and maintain a relationship with external auditors. Led the audit process, including creating the audit materials, audit process, and issuing GAAP financial statements.
- Documentation and substantiation of all policies and notes as relevant.
Ideal candidates will have the following qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance or related field
- 7 – 10 years of progressive accounting experience
- Previous Finance experience in both Big 4 accounting and a high growth start-up environment preferred
- Outstanding knowledge of US GAAP, CPA strongly preferred
- Ability to think critically and demonstrated problem-solving skills.
- Ability to diplomatically navigate internal and external priorities and generate consensus
- Excellent written and verbal communication as well as listening skills across all levels.
- Superb attention to detail, and a passion for follow-through.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- $119,813 - $169,775 (depending on experience), variable pay and equity
Mori provides a comprehensive benefits package which includes:
- Health, vision, and dental plans where Mori pays 50% of the premium
- Health Savings Account (HSA) for High Deductible Health Plans (HDHP)
- Unlimited paid-time-off (which includes sick pay) and 11 paid company holidays
- 401(k) plan with company match
- Commuter benefits providing employees the opportunity to use tax-free dollars on commuting costs (as specified by the benefit administrator)
- Free, access to confidential mental health counsellors through a program called Health Advocate. Health Advocate also helps with other things (securing childcare, finding lawyers for wills, etc.), and you have access to the full array of Health Advocate options
- Health Advocate also offers advice on which health insurance option to choose based on your personal circumstances (HIPAA compliant, everything is done between you and them and never comes to a Mori employee). This type of program is often referred to as an Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Free OneMedical on-demand primary care (24/7 access to physicians, online booking system, membership fee is covered), insurance required for certain services
- Free TelaDoc through Aetna available to employees with an active Mori health plan.
- One year of TalkSpace (fully online mental health therapists) Access based on enrollment in an active Mori provided Health Benefit plan. Monthly limitations apply
Additional location specific benefits include:
- Optional Life and supplemental life insurance through MetLife
- 24/7 access to Hood Park fitness center (Boston benefit)
- Covered and indoor bike parking (Boston benefit)
- Hood Park programming and events (Boston benefit)
Mori is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 (“ADA”), as amended by the ADA Amendments Act of 2008, and all applicable state and local fair employment practices laws. Employment opportunities at Mori are based upon one's qualifications and capabilities to perform the essential functions of a particular job. All employment opportunities are provided without regard to race, religion, sex, pregnancy, childbirth or related medical conditions, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Finance and InsuranceView all jobs at Mori
Get fresh Controller jobs daily straight to your inbox!
You Already Have an Account
We're sending an email you can use to verify and access your account.
If you know your password, you can go to the sign in page.